PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Wood

Jerry Hay
09-26-2009, 5:40 PM
Hi,
I just got a load of cherry from my tree I had to cut down.
I figure in 2 years it will make awesome laser material.
I can see all the clocks I am going to make now.

Bob Savage
09-26-2009, 5:59 PM
That will definitely make some beautiful clocks!

Hmmm... wonder if any neighbors have Cherry trees.

George M. Perzel
09-27-2009, 7:42 AM
Hi Jerry;
In two years this will make nice firewood if you leave it in log form. Recommend you cut circle slabs (assume that's the type clock you want)
and put them each in a kraft paper bag in a cool place with some humidity and let them slowly dry for a year per inch.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Jerry Hay
09-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I have a guy coming with a portable band saw sawmill to slice them up and see how many we can get.

Ray Mighells
09-28-2009, 3:41 PM
With a bandsaw you could probably get some nice boards too. Stack and sticker along with your discs. You can use the branches too, but I would leave them in lengths you can cut later. I would also cut some at a steep angle to get some nice elongated discs. Woodcarvers also like these for bases for woodcarving. You'll need to check periodically to make sure they don't mold. Cherry wood engraves very nicely in the end grain.

Daniel Muller
09-29-2009, 1:35 PM
Jerry,
As a cabinetmaker for years. The rule of thumb for air dried timber is 1" per year. Obviously if you subject it to more heat, dry air and cut it thinner it would dry faster. Also bare in mind Cherry gets a much deeper red color when exposed to the sun. If not you can get some good BTU's out of cherry
Dan

Jerry Hay
09-29-2009, 5:11 PM
Thanks for all the tips I am just hoping I can get something out of that old tree I have had it for 21 years.

Clara Koss
09-29-2009, 5:17 PM
oh gosh clocks????? nooooooo!!!!!!!:(