PDA

View Full Version : Planer Snipe, Dewalt DW735 vs DW734

John Force
09-26-2009, 4:25 PM
I used to have the Delta lunchbox planer that had the locking carriage. I never had a snipe problem with it. When it burned up, I bought the one they sell now that does not have the locking carriage. I have a big snipe problem with it. I am well aware of all the suggested solutions (raise the in and outfeed tables, raise the wood when feeding into and removing from the planer, build a planer bed [which I did – 8 feet long]), but none of these suggestions solved the snipe problem. So I bought the Dewalt DW735 when it was on sale (supposedly has “automatic carriage lock"), and IT ALSO produced snipe. I brought it back and got the Dewalt DW734 (which has a manual carriage lock) and it produces perfect cuts – no snipe (without lifting the board or using the 8 foot bed).

I just thought I would post this to help others with their decisions about buying a planer (especially since so many are trying to get the DW735 at the closeout price).

Also, my Lowe’s just started selling the Porter-Cable PC305TP planer (which I am quite sure is the exact same planer as the last Delta planer made), but it also has no carriage lock.

Hope the info helps someone.

John

Myk Rian
09-26-2009, 4:27 PM
Did you get the tables for the 735? When adjusted properly, the snipe is gone.

John Force
09-26-2009, 4:31 PM
Did you get the tables for the 735? When adjusted properly, the snipe is gone.

No, but I used the 8 foot bed, which I understood from all my research is superior to the small tables. Maybe my research data is wrong and the tables are better!
Thanks,
John

glenn bradley
09-26-2009, 4:49 PM
The 735 table design is poor but, without them I would foresee snipe issues. I have the 734 and it does great. 8 foot bed or not the critical area of control would be at the outfeed point. If the adjustment on my dad's 735 outfeed table continued for another 4 feet it would probably be 3 or 4 inches higher than the platten. I'm betting your 8 foot bed was flat(?).

John Force
09-26-2009, 6:00 PM
The 735 table design is poor but, without them I would foresee snipe issues. I have the 734 and it does great. 8 foot bed or not the critical area of control would be at the outfeed point. If the adjustment on my dad's 735 outfeed table continued for another 4 feet it would probably be 3 or 4 inches higher than the platten. I'm betting your 8 foot bed was flat(?).

Yes, it is a perfectly flat "torsion box" (12" X 8') topped with masonite, supported on the ends (4' before the carriage, 4' after).

Larry Frank
09-26-2009, 10:02 PM
I have the 735 with the tables and have very little snipe. Initially, I adjusted the tables flat and had a snipe problem. Then, I read a lot of posts and ended up spending time making adjustments to bring the exit table up and reduced the snipe to a minimum. I am very happy with the machine but it does make a lot of noise.

Darrell Bottoms
09-27-2009, 1:48 AM
I had been shopping/researching lunchbox planer's for quite some time and had come to the conclusion that they all had good and bad points about them.

While doing my research, I got the opportunity to get a new in box DW734 for $300, so I bit the bullet and took the chance.

I fully expected to have to do some manipulation in an effort to get around snipe, but right out of the box, this thing did such a fine job....No snipe!

I love it and highly recommend it as well....couldn't be happier with my DW734 lunchbox planer.

The only thing I don't like....the throw-away knives. Am dreaming of some day getting the shelix spiral head.:D