PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 inch router bit shank in 1/2 inch adapter

John Force
09-26-2009, 4:00 PM
I just received 4 router bits ordered earlier. I ordered all with 1/2 inch shanks. The up-spiral and down-spiral bits came with 1/4 inch shanks with 1/2 inch adapters on them. Is there any benefit to using them in my 1/2 inch collet, or should I just remove the adapters and use them in my 1/4 inch collet?
Thanks.
John

Cliff Holmes
09-26-2009, 4:06 PM
I guess that since the manufacturer provided them, it's ok. But the idea of a metal bit spinning at 20K in an adapter makes me uneasy. Personally, I'd swap collets or ask for "real" 1/2 shanks.

Myk Rian
09-26-2009, 4:13 PM
+1 with using the right collet. It isn't like it's a big deal changing them.

Nathan Callender
09-26-2009, 5:06 PM
Personally, if they were advertised as 1/2" shanks, I'd want them to arrive that way. I would guess there's a pretty good strength difference between a 1/2" shank and a 1/4" shank with a sleeve. But, this is coming from a guy who had a bad experience with a 1/4" shank bending on him - I never want that to happen again.

pat warner
09-26-2009, 5:57 PM
JF, can you indicate link where adapters are displayed?

John Force
09-26-2009, 6:05 PM
JF, can you indicate link where adapters are displayed?

h**p://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_solid.html#spiral_up_anchor
(Replace the asterisks with t's.)
There are no photos of the adapters.
As you can see by the stars (#901, 902, 903), the company DOES indicate that the bits are supplied with adapters, but I still don't know if it is better to use the adapters and the 1/2" collet, or no adapters and the 1/4" collet. I guess I'll email or call them and ask them.
Thanks,
John

David DeCristoforo
09-26-2009, 6:27 PM
"...if they were advertised as 1/2" shanks, I'd want them to arrive that way."

Ditto that. But if you keep them, just chuck them up in your 1/4" collet. There is no advantage at all in using the adaptors in a 1/2" collet and there is double the chance of them slipping in the collet.

Bill Arnold
09-26-2009, 6:42 PM
I bought the 1/4" spiral upcut and downcut bit from MLCS and have used them a lot with the adaptor that came with my M12V router in my table. I have never had a problem with them slipping.

I also have their 1/2" spiral bits for flush-cutting and they are great.

Tom Veatch
09-26-2009, 6:51 PM
Ditto the use of 1/4 in 1/2 adapters as not being a problem.

I have a number of 1/4" shank bits I use in my table mounted router. It has a 1/2" Eliminator chuck and don't know if a 1/4" version is available or not. The 1/4 to 1/2 adapter works fine. I don't feel at all hesitant about using the adapter.

The only problem I've noted is that sometimes removing the bit, the bit comes free and the adapter drops down into the chuck requiring me to remove the chuck to retrieve the adapter.

Stephen Reid
09-26-2009, 6:59 PM
I bought a1/4" sprial bit from lv and use it no problem in my pc router.If I recall correctly they only offer the 1/4" in 1/4" shank.Don't know about other sources though.In my case my cheapo router that only takes 1/4" shanks just doesn't do the job that my pc spining the same bit with the shank adapter will do.As I said I've never had a problem using the adapters on many different bits. YMMV

Brian Gumpper
09-26-2009, 7:23 PM
With a 1/4" spiral bit, the shank is not the week point but the cutter itself. So, there is no advantage to having a 1/4" spiral bit with a 1/2" shank.

With that said though, the 1/2" shanks solid carbide spirals come from a 1/2" diameter rod where the 1/4" shank bits come from a 1/4" rod. The 1/4" rod costs much less as do the 1/4" shank bits so as long as you didn't pay the price for a 1/2" shank bit you should be OK. Use the collett if you have one and not the adapter.

John Force
09-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. I emailed them and am waiting on an answer.
John

mickey cassiba
09-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Ditto the use of 1/4 in 1/2 adapters as not being a problem.

I have a number of 1/4" shank bits I use in my table mounted router. It has a 1/2" Eliminator chuck and don't know if a 1/4" version is available or not. The 1/4 to 1/2 adapter works fine. I don't feel at all hesitant about using the adapter.

The only problem I've noted is that sometimes removing the bit, the bit comes free and the adapter drops down into the chuck requiring me to remove the chuck to retrieve the adapter.
Delta used to supply an adapter with the tabletop shaper router table that had a lip on the end. Went through my old service manuals, and could not find a P.N. I may have a couple of them though. in my accessory/spare part boxes. I'll keep an eye out as I unpack and sort.
Mickey

Gene Howe
09-27-2009, 3:27 PM
In viewing the web page, those bits are starred with a notation that says that a proper adapter is supplied.

John Force
09-27-2009, 4:25 PM
In viewing the web page, those bits are starred with a notation that says that a proper adapter is supplied.

Yes, I indicated that in post #6.
Thanks,
John

John Force
09-28-2009, 4:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. I emailed them and am waiting on an answer.
John

They said 6 of one or 1/2 dozen of another (it doesn't matter).
Thanks,
John

roman fedyk
09-28-2009, 4:56 PM
Actually it is very common in using dovetail jigs. Both the Akeda and Leigh use 8mm shanks and they provide an adapter for use in 1/2" routers. If anything needs tight tolerances and strength it is dovetailing 1" thick boards. Been using this type of setup for years without a single misstep.....