PDA

View Full Version : Adding rip capacity on a Grizzly G0690

scott vroom
09-26-2009, 3:42 PM
There are several recent threads on TS rip capacity. I've read comments about "shifting" or "moving" the rails to the right to increase rip cap blade-right.

I'm hoping someone here has tried this on the Griz G0690 saw and can tell me from actual experience what is involved. I've read that some machining may be required but I don't think any of the posters had actually tried to adjust rails on this specific model. I prefer not buying the HUGE G0691 with the rail extension; at the same time, I want to be able to rip up to 40" or so.

Thanks-

Rick Moyer
09-26-2009, 4:04 PM
No help here, but the G0691 is "only" 20" wider than the G0690, I wouldn't call that HUGE.

scott vroom
09-26-2009, 4:21 PM
The difference is 23". This is significant when trying to plan a shop in a 16 x 18 area.

scott spencer
09-26-2009, 4:25 PM
Scott - I've slid the rails right on my former Craftsman 22124 with a Biesemeyer fence, and my current Shop Fox W1677 (same as a Grizzly G1023SL) with the SF Classic fence. The SF Classic and Biese are pretty similar designs, and the process is pretty simple.

All that was involved was unbolting the top front tube from the angle bracket, sliding the top tube to the right by one bolt hole, and reinstalling 4 of the 5 bolts that hold the tube in place. Leave the angle bracket in place per the instructions, you're simply going to cantilever the tube about 10" further over the bracket....still plenty strong. In your case with a new assembly, you'll just start with the fence tube over farther than instructions call for. You install one less bolt, and relocate the reference tape accordingly. You'll then need to fill the space between the rails with an extension table of some sort for the fence to slide on...I added a router table there. The G0690 may be a little different, but the process should be very similar. The 22124 required relocating the switch on the rail, but the Shop Fox did not. You may want to add some leg support for the extension table