PDA

View Full Version : 98 +99 Box

Corvin Alstot
09-18-2004, 6:46 PM
Does any one get carried away with the arrival of a new tool and then make a box or dedicated storage unit for it? Take a look at the attachment. I spent way too much time making this box and taking time away from much more need projects.

The sides and bottom are made of satinwood, the slide top is a scrap piece of plexiglass, and the edge trim is some satinwood and ebony left over from another project. I probably need to give it a better finishing and clean up, but its just for tool storage. The planes fit snug into a very tight relief cut without the need for any other additional hold downs. The tricky thing that is not shown is the plunge cut for the attached fence guides.

Mark Singer
09-18-2004, 6:49 PM
Perfect house fot great tools! Excellent!

Gary Sutherland
09-18-2004, 7:05 PM
A beautiful box!! Certainly not a waste of time.

Gives me an idea tho; can I claim that I must buy a new tool to use in building a box for itself?

Gary

Corvin Alstot
09-18-2004, 10:53 PM
A beautiful box!! Certainly not a waste of time.

Gives me an idea tho; can I claim that I must buy a new tool to use in building a box for itself?

Gary
Sure, what better way to honor your tools and get more practise.
I often wanted to buy a Stanley #55 plane just so I could make an improved storage unit for it and the cutters.

Tyler Howell
09-18-2004, 11:02 PM
No, I don't get carried away like that, but I enjoy it when you do;) . Very Nice. Gotta have fun too.:cool:

Frank Pellow
09-18-2004, 11:25 PM
I've been known to do that. Check out the thread at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8377

But, my work is much rougher than yours. Nice job!

Ed Falis
09-20-2004, 3:29 PM
Corvin,

You clearly went way overboard!

But it was fun, and the result sure looks nice, eh?

- Ws

Jerry Olexa
09-20-2004, 3:37 PM
Yeah its overboard BUT its Great Work!!!!

John Olson
09-20-2004, 5:20 PM
I think every function of life should be put in a good box. I have my blood pressure meds in a nice box. My incense is in a home made creation. The matches are housed in a box. My cologne is in a box. I could go on. God has given us this massive skill and talent it is up to us to enhance the world by using it to the max.