PDA

View Full Version : Riving Knife for Contractor Saw?

mickey cassiba
09-26-2009, 11:39 AM
The splitter on my Delta is attached to the trunnion, won't lower with the blade.
Googled Riving Knife and came up with lot's for the Uni's, but none for a CS. Any body buy/build one for this type of saw(Delta 36-441B)?
Mick

Greg Peterson
09-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Ridgid has one now. Granite top and riving knife. $599 at HD. Only drawback is the motor is only 1.5 HP.

Grizzly also has a CS with riving knife.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-26-2009, 12:56 PM
You can install a **** splitter.. It's not a true riving knife, but lowers and raises with the blade. It takes more of an arc path due to how it's mounted, instead of straight up and down.

EDIT: Ok... Why that was censored I have no clue.. Guess SMC hates it?

glenn bradley
09-26-2009, 1:34 PM
I think the OP is looking for an after-market RK, yes?

scott spencer
09-26-2009, 1:37 PM
Walnut Acre WWing might have a Bolt-On-Ripping-Knife (http://shop.walnutacrewoodworking.com/category.sc?categoryId=2)that'll fit. AKA "the B O R.K")

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/RT/rt001-1.jpg

Scott Hildenbrand
09-26-2009, 2:10 PM
I was going to say that again, but I figured I'd get in trouble for bypassing the censor. Which begs the question, what's wrong with the bolt on riving knife approach that warrants it being a censored word?

scott spencer
09-26-2009, 3:29 PM
I was going to say that again, but I figured I'd get in trouble for bypassing the censor. Which begs the question, what's wrong with the bolt on riving knife approach that warrants it being a censored word?

I don't believe the issue is with the B-0RK itself...I've been using one for a year with no problems. Even if there was a problem with the B-OR-K, it should be discussed here. It'd be better to settle administrative issues offline, and let the product discussion continue.

Greg Peterson
09-26-2009, 3:42 PM
Reading comprehension. Must work on this.

Sorry.

mickey cassiba
09-26-2009, 4:08 PM
I think the OP is looking for an after-market RK, yes?
Correct Glenn. I love the saw, spent many hours building it from scrap units, and it has low mileage(almost none).
Aftermarket's what I'm after.

Floyd Mah
09-26-2009, 11:37 PM
I posted this http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112419 earlier this year. It's a real riving knife (or as close as you can find) for a contractor's saw. Everything else that I've seen is just a splitter that only approximately follows the blade. They are attached to the arm that supports the blade arbor. My design incorporates a separate linear bearing and will closely track the height of the blade as well as the tilt.

If you are handy, you can build this yourself. I have yet to figure out how to make this to sell for less than $200 to justify the effort, but you can probably make if for yourself if you don't mind working for a couple of bucks an hour. If you follow the instructions closely, it will work, but you are working with close tolerances (less than 1/64" deviation over a 3" travel).

By the way, the parts are all available from your local OSH for less than $50.

Last edit: Hey Mickey. I just read on your other post that you are a machinist. This is right up your alley. You could knock this project off in no time. Even so, the only machining operation was the custom pulley. I was thinking of using a weld to join the long rod to the adjusting plate, but I didn't have that capability when I first designed this riving knife.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Now that is a slick little bit of work and looks like it would work much better than a B.OR.K...

mickey cassiba
09-27-2009, 7:28 AM
I posted this http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112419 earlier this year. It's a real riving knife (or as close as you can find) for a contractor's saw. Everything else that I've seen is just a splitter that only approximately follows the blade. They are attached to the arm that supports the blade arbor. My design incorporates a separate linear bearing and will closely track the height of the blade as well as the tilt.

If you are handy, you can build this yourself. I have yet to figure out how to make this to sell for less than $200 to justify the effort, but you can probably make if for yourself if you don't mind working for a couple of bucks an hour. If you follow the instructions closely, it will work, but you are working with close tolerances (less than 1/64" deviation over a 3" travel).

By the way, the parts are all available from your local OSH for less than $50.

Last edit: Hey Mickey. I just read on your other post that you are a machinist. This is right up your alley. You could knock this project off in no time. Even so, the only machining operation was the custom pulley. I was thinking of using a weld to join the long rod to the adjusting plate, but I didn't have that capability when I first designed this riving knife.
I like it! I don't currently have access to a machine shop, but am slowly convincing my employers that machining capabilitiy is crucial to support the motley collection of old and new machinery in the moulding and specialty shops. Last year we spent $21000 to have a tech fly in and replace some guides on a CNC gang rip saw. The two guides could have been fabbed in a limited machine shop. I've been told that I can shop for a decent knee mill to add to next years budget. Surface grinder and engine lathe to follow as the economy picks up.
That $21000 would have went a long way towards a repair shop on site, and they know it!
Aside from that, I hope all you folks won't think less of me for using Floyd's idea for mi own saw. I wouldn't presume to try to market it, Don't want to work that hard. I enjoy my part time semi retired status.
Can't run a mill from a hammock, ya know?
Mick