PDA

View Full Version : galvanized lag-bolt and washer with pressure treated wood

Andrew Thuswaldner
09-26-2009, 6:59 AM
Can I use a galvanized lag-bolt and washer with pressure treated wood? I would think this must be okay. The last time I used PT wood the formula was different so I'm not sure if the requirements for the hardware changed also.

ROY DICK
09-26-2009, 7:43 AM
http://www.strongtie.com/productuse/ptwoodfaqs.html

Roy

phil harold
09-26-2009, 9:22 AM
2003 International Residential Code - Fastener Statement, Section R319.3: “Fasteners for pressure-preservative treated wood shall be hot-dipped galvanized steel, stainless steel, silicon bronze or copper. Exception: One-half inch (12.7mm) diameter or greater steel bolts.” Also note the requirements for exterior use require hot dipping.

Electroplated galvanized fasteners are not recognized as being corrosion resistant for exterior applications.

Chris Damm
09-26-2009, 9:57 AM
2003 International Residential Code - Fastener Statement, Section R319.3: “Fasteners for pressure-preservative treated wood shall be hot-dipped galvanized steel, stainless steel, silicon bronze or copper. Exception: One-half inch (12.7mm) diameter or greater steel bolts.” Also note the requirements for exterior use require hot dipping.

Electroplated galvanized fasteners are not recognized as being corrosion resistant for exterior applications.

And if you don't follow these requirements the regular or electoplated bolts will fail. My brother with no common sense used cheap fasteners on his new deck despite warnings from me and the deck is falling apart a year later. I cut some of the joints apart so I could look at the screws and they had disintegrated to half of their original size. Use only fasteners labeled for use with the new ACQ treated wood.

Andrew Thuswaldner
10-03-2009, 7:28 AM
Roy, Phil, Chris, Thank you for the excellent references and first had experience you shared.
Andrew