PDA

View Full Version : Lid stay - suport

Leo Willis
09-26-2009, 2:16 AM
Hi,
I am new at this forum and have a question.
I study a stickley model 664 see picture.
I like to now if the lid suport is still available or i have to build it myself.
Notice that the lid stay is very ingenious made, modern variations always sits in the way.This one is totaly hidden.

John Thompson
09-26-2009, 8:52 AM
Can't answer it directly Leo. I got involved with A & C just over a year ago and most items (hinges mainly) I have looked for were still reproduced. I would just Google cabinet hardware and it will open up some doors on just what is available. I have seen some pretty odd items as that on various sites but cannot say I say this or at least don't remember.

Good luck...

Leo Willis
09-26-2009, 9:06 AM
I use google a lot, maybe i used the wrong search words :
- Drop front hinge
- Drop leaf hinge
- arts crafts hardware
- desk hardware

The trouble for me is that englisch is not my mothers language and it is difficult to come up with the right search words.

I am planning too make it myself with help from a fellow metalworker.
Anyway, thanks for the reaction.

Doug Shepard
09-26-2009, 10:02 AM
This seems like something VanDykes would possibly have
http://www.vandykes.com/
but I'm not sure what to search on with their site to check. It might be easier requesting one of their catalogs and doing it the old fashioned way.

Jamie Buxton
09-26-2009, 10:51 AM
I've never seen a lid support like that. You might just have to build it. Fortunately, it is like most A&C stuff: built fairly easily in a small shop.

Dwayne Watt
09-26-2009, 11:32 AM
That's a very clean design, but doesn't seem like that arrangement would be very strong in use. Apparently it has been around for a long time, so I wonder...Is the top drawer intended to be pulled out for primary support when the desk is actually used for writing, etc. It looks like it aligns very well with the lid from the photo. Just wondering....

Leo Willis
09-26-2009, 2:46 PM
Ok, thank you , i requested a catalog, could be interesting :)

Leo Willis
09-26-2009, 3:00 PM
To Dwayne, it puzzle me too, i send a mail too the stickley museum to get a answer on that, they did not answer . I did some test and with a front size from 13" and support to 4" ( 1/3 ) with extra butt hinges mounted ,wood thickness 1", it can hold at least 100 Kg. I believe it is strong enough . Worked all day to calculate and test it... But it was fun too walk in the footsteps off my far
ancestors...lol

Leo Willis
09-26-2009, 3:33 PM
I post a pic on how i tested :

Leo Willis
09-26-2009, 5:06 PM
Ken, Thanks for your help but that hinge is a totaly different system , once open you see the mechanism , folding type. That is what i dont want as you can see on the pic that i posted.
It is a real pleasure that so many people try to help me out, in Europe it does not work that way...