PDA

View Full Version : Incra 5000 sled

Robert McGowen
09-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Well, I am about as healed as I am going to get, so it is time to start turning in earnest again. (4 knee surgeries in 20 months on same knee. You know things are bad when the metal detector at the airport goes off and you haven't even started to go through it yet! :o) I had been using a shop-made sled to cut segments on the table saw, but after having sat unused for so long, it really does not fit the table saw like I would like it to any more. I also would like to be able to cut different angles with the same sled so that I can make rings containing a different number of segments. After a lot of reading, I have just about settled on the Incra 5000 sled. The only reason I would buy it would be to cut segments on, so I would like to get something that specifically fits this need best. Is anyone using this type of setup? Any negatives that I am not thinking of or any alternatives to the 5000? Thanks!

Tim Boger
09-26-2009, 6:49 AM
Well, I am about as healed as I am going to get, so it is time to start turning in earnest again. (4 knee surgeries in 20 months on same knee. You know things are bad when the metal detector at the airport goes off and you haven't even started to go through it yet! :o) I had been using a shop-made sled to cut segments on the table saw, but after having sat unused for so long, it really does not fit the table saw like I would like it to any more. I also would like to be able to cut different angles with the same sled so that I can make rings containing a different number of segments. After a lot of reading, I have just about settled on the Incra 5000 sled. The only reason I would buy it would be to cut segments on, so I would like to get something that specifically fits this need best. Is anyone using this type of setup? Any negatives that I am not thinking of or any alternatives to the 5000? Thanks!

Hey Robert ... Glad you're healing up and can get back to the shop.

I have owned the Incra 5000 sled for bout a year and absolutely love it.

I can't see how you'll be disappointed.

Tim

Ken Glass
09-26-2009, 8:13 AM
Robert,
I have an Incra Ultra 24 for dovetails and the quality, safety and accuracy is fabulous. I looked at the Incra 5000 and it sure looks like a great tool for cutting segments with. The hold down is easy and the stop seems very accurate. You can cut any miter angle you want with consistency. If, and when I start doing more Segmented turnings, (after retirement in 3 months), I might ask you how you like yours by then. My guess is you'll love it.
p.s. Glad to hear your better. knees can be along and painful road in coming around.

Jim Evans
09-26-2009, 8:50 AM
I had the Incra Express which is similar to the 5000. My only issues was I used my saw building other projects. This meant I had to take the extra pieces off the table saw to do a rip cut.
The pieces that attach to the table were either in the way or I had to put them back on. You cannot just leave them on the saw and still use the rip fence.

It was a great system but for I was not organized enough to plan my crosscut jobs then all my rip cuts.

Richard Madison
09-26-2009, 5:42 PM
Robert,
Can't help with the Incra (you have seen the scrap junk I work with), but glad to see you are getting back in the turning saddle.