PDA

View Full Version : How would you slice up this monster?

Dave Schell
09-25-2009, 10:50 PM
I need some opinions here on how to slice up this monster maple log. It is about 26" in diameter. You can see in the pic how it dwarfs the two logs it is sitting on. Do I really want 24" bowls? Probably not. Any suggestions on others ways to cut it up. I'd like to make a few platters - what thickness do folks usually start with to make a platter. BTW, the second pic is the results of roughing out the rest of this haul - under those shavings are 22 bowl blanks from about 16" to 22" in diameter. I've been busing rough turning them as fast as I can.

ROY DICK
09-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Dave,

I like 1.5" - 2" for platters, but it depends on the style that I look for.
2" for a chip and dip, 1.5" for a regular.

BTW nice score on that wood.

Roy

Jeff Nicol
09-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Dave, Set down with paper and pencil and lay out what you would want to cut from the log. This way you can decide on shape, style, size, bowl, platter or HF etc. Just draw a round circle and sketch some things in the circle that you want and then start cutting. This way you waste less and get exactly what you wanted.

Jeff

Roger Wilson
09-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I need some opinions here on how to slice up this monster maple log...

Something you might look at (and download to your own PC) in deciding to cut up your log is the following pdf, available at the linked website. It does a nice job of helping one to visualize what the finished bowl and grain patterns will be when cutting up a log.

bowl_blanks_from_log.pdf
http://maubow.weebly.com/articlestips.html

Dennis Ford
09-26-2009, 11:36 AM
I had some fun with "Paint" and drew these cut lines. Looks like you have been having a blast with the lathe.

Reed Gray
09-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I do mostly utility bowls, so this is how I would look at it. It looks like there are some bark inclusions in the bottom half of the log, and possible some ring shake (crack around the growth rings) as well. I would orient all cuts around them. On one like this, I would take a slab or two out of the center, in 2, 4, or 6 inch thicknesses. They can be used for platters, quatersawn individual meal sized bowls and plates, or with a 6 inch thick slab, end grain turnings. This can still leave you with a couple of thick slabs on both sides of the center cuts. With a 24 inch diameter log, I would think there will be some checking on the ends, so lose about 2 inches on both ends. This leaves you with 20 inches of wood to work with. I do not like any cracks or defects in my bowl blanks. If you are making 14 inch bowls, you can have 6 inches of end grain stuff after you cut out the center big bowl pieces. Too small for standard salad bowls, but you can get some end grain pieces out of it, or figure it is too small to get much use out of it as in you will keep it for years, and then find it one day and wonder why you kept it in the first place, and put it in the scrap/burn pile.

You can cut a big cube out of the center for salad bowls, and use the rest any way you can. Or you can make one cut down the center, on the pith, and get two 12 inch thick slabs for bowl blanks.

Lots of ways to do it.

robo hippy

Gary Conklin
09-26-2009, 6:49 PM
http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/navy/technology/ClearanceDivers/images/img_pneumaticChainsaw.jpg

Judy Kingery
09-26-2009, 7:14 PM
Dennis, nice job on your diagram; and Roger thanks for some advice I kinda took vicariously! Appreciate it bunches!

Best to all,

Jude