PDA

View Full Version : What to do with outboard toolrest when not using them

Dave Schell
09-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Someone sent me a PM earlier this week asking how I liked the outboard toolrest I had made for my Vicmarc. I had to be honest and tell him that I haven't actually had the opportunity to really try it out since making it, but I did find a really great use for it in the mean time: they make outstanding light stands as well!. Below are some pics of my setup. Since making the headstock side rest earlier, I have since made a similiar one for the tailstock side as well. This will eventually serve the purpose of holding some sort of hollowing rig once I figure out if I want an articulating or captured system. Since I have a shortbed lathe, I thought the outboard rest on this end would give me a bit more flexibility. In the meantime, I have a very well-lit workstation.

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Dave what a great idea. Cool.

alex carey
09-25-2009, 11:06 PM
wow, those look pretty nice and sturdy, looking forward to some picture of them actually in use.

charlie knighton
09-26-2009, 2:47 AM
i like your lights

my outboard turning rest holds my turning smock that my sister made me, mainly in the summer i just wear my t-shirt backwards :D

Chris Haas
09-26-2009, 8:11 AM
show off, i'm still looking for someone or somewhere that i can get the materials to make one of them, much less two. looks great, cant wait to hear how they work for turning

Steve Schlumpf
09-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Real nice setup Dave! Do you have to wear suntan lotion while turning? That is bright!

Paul Atkins
09-27-2009, 2:59 AM
Great idea, which made me think of another. How about a camera mount that fits in the hole?