PDA

View Full Version : Tight turns on band saw

Dan Hunter
09-25-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm trying to cut out some band saw boxes, but I'm having a really hard time getting those tight turns to cut out the key and the lid. An example of the tight turns I want to cut out can be seen on this etsy box (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=25386963&ref=sr_gallery_5&&ga_search_query=box&ga_search_type=category&category=woodworking.carving&ga_page=&includes%5B%5D=tags&includes%5B%5D=title)*. Even using a 1/8" blade, my turning cuts are still coming out really wide and it is hard to get the right curves without using up a lot of space. The blade I am using is 12 tpi, and the box material I am cutting is about 3 inches thick. I thick this might be too high of a tpi for the width, but I can't find any blades with less than 10-12. Any tips would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

*This is not my Etsy item, and I do not know the seller in any way, etc. etc...

Dave Lehnert
09-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but will be reading with interest.
Just wandering what brand and size saw are you using. Also what kind of blade guides.

Dan Hunter
09-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, I forgot to put a few things in here. The saw I am using is a Jet 14" saw (the older blue one) with the stock guides.

I just recently celebrated the triumph of finding out my table was not level, and I am hoping I am doing something wrong that will be just as simple!

William Falberg
09-26-2009, 12:09 AM
It's not the TPI and it's not the width - it's the set. Get a new blade.

Joe Scharle
09-26-2009, 8:03 AM
Along with the set, you can hone off the square edges on the back of the blade. Don't round it off, just ease the back edges.

Dan Hunter
09-26-2009, 8:31 AM
I am using the Timberwolf blade from woodcraft. I tried looking up some other blades, but the sellers don't seem to specify what set is on the blade. What set would be best for the type of turns I want to cut? I will try to hone the backs of the blades and see if that helps too.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Dan,
Find a web seller that carries Lennox blades. You will have a choice of many blades with different tooth configurations.
Don't discount the quick tip Joe gave you. Take sharpening stone, not your best 8000 grit, and hold it at an angle against the back corners of your blade while the saw is running. Chamfer each side of the back of the blade. It won't take much. Doing so will make your curves much easier to make and allow the same blade to cut smaller radii. Less force will allow a narrower kerf. Your kerf should be little more than when you cut a straight line.
fmr

richard poitras
09-26-2009, 2:06 PM
A Carter blade stabilizer works well for small blades. I have one on my 14’’Delta and it works great. They are about $70.00

phil harold
09-26-2009, 3:26 PM
I would want to use the msallest blade as posible for those cuts

3/16th or 1/4 and something like 4-6 tpi

+1 on honing the blade

and make sure you bandsaw is tuned up!

Lance Norris
09-26-2009, 7:47 PM
A Carter blade stabilizer works well for small blades. I have one on my 14’’Delta and it works great. They are about $70.00

Richards got it... I have made many bandsawn boxes and use the Carter Stabilizer with an 1/8" 14 tooth blade. I can cut circles about twice the diameter of a pencils lead with the Stabilizer on my saw. Here is a link to the tutorial I posted here on the Creek. Its about a simple bandsawn box, but if you look at the pics, you will see the stabilizer, if you dont know what one is... Pictures 3 and 4 show the stabilizer.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81703

Matthew Hills
09-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Your ability to turn is based on the width of your kerf, coupled with the width of your blade. Easing the back corners of the blade helps reduce the effective width of your blade, while more set will increase the width of the kerf.

Definitely practice on some scrap wood. The bandsaw is definitely a case where it doesn't help to force the cut -- you've got to keep the area you want to cut in front of the blade...

The Woodworking Online folks have a reasonable video on bandsaws where they discuss setup and achievable radii:
Podcast #22: Buying & Getting the Most Out of Your Band Saw (http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2007/06/08/podcast-22-buying-getting-the-most-out-of-your-band-saw/)

Matt