PDA

View Full Version : LDD and Cherry Bowl w/ Inlace

Harvey Meyer
03-24-2003, 7:53 PM
After experiencing a lot of cracking with green cherry, I made my 1st attempt at soaking the rough turned bowl in liquid diswashing detergent (LDD) mixed with water (50/50) based on Ron Smith's prior posts. I soaked the bowl for 2 days, then let it sit for 2 days. The bowl developed one fairly shallow crack which was easily turned away (see bottom picture). After I finish turned it to about 5/16 thickness, I expedited the drying time with the help of a lamp (250 watt). When it was dry (about a day later) it was still "almost" round and had a bit more shrinkage in the sapwood than the remainder of the bowl (but expected). Prior to drying, I turned a recess into the rim so I could experiment with inlace. I used the goopy stuff that costs way too much, but it hardened within a day. I sanded off the excess inlace and then finish sanded the bowl. A few coats of Minwax rubbing oil followed by the Beall buffs and you see my sister's birthday present. Finished size is 8" diameter and 3.5" high.

I'm also working on a box elder bowl (full of beautiful red streaks) that I rough turned and soaked in LDD for 3 days. After sitting for 2 days (the bowl, not me), I finish turned this one, put it under the lights for a day and it's dry enough for sanding and finishing. This bowl is 11" diameter, full of worm holes and other defects, and is still perfectly round and did not crack anywhere. But I have no other experience with box elder, so it may just be a more forgiving species when it comes to drying. Another beneficial side effect of LDD with box elder is the LDD masks the putrid stench that makes you sick while you turn it. What a horrible stench!! I'll post pics of the box elder when it's done.

So far, my limited experience with LDD and 2 bowls is positive. It's not perfect when it comes to cherry, but that's the nature of the beast.

Regards,
Harvey

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-24-2003, 8:29 PM
I just finished a couple of cherry bowls myself this weekend. I cut 16 more blanks to rough out and soak. I'm glad to hear you're having some success, it's worked well for me, too. Have fun and keep me informed!

Ken Salisbury
03-25-2003, 5:40 AM
<p align="center">
Nice Job Harvey ! ! ! !

Jim Fuller
03-25-2003, 7:28 AM
NM

Glenn Hodges
03-25-2003, 1:31 PM
Super save Harvey. Sometimes it seems one of our biggest jobs is working on saving our bowls. On one of my cherry bowls, I had some cracks like yours, I took my knife and enlarged the cracks to look like seagulls. I then filled the seagulls in with epoxy which I had colored white. Called the bowl "I'll Fly Away" the lady which bought it said that was her mama's favorite song. Anyway I think you did a nice job on saving this bowl.