PDA

View Full Version : Stainless etch job for a friend

Bob Savage
09-25-2009, 4:39 PM
Hey peeps,

A friend that owns a guitar amplification company is releasing a new amplifier with a stainless chassis that he would like etched. The initial order would be for 100 pieces of each (2 pieces). One part has an .050 satin finish and the other is an .062 satin finish.

These are not flat pieces, so fixtures would likely need to be built for them. I would also presume that a C02 laser could not directly etch this, so I'm interested in hearing the feasibility of using cermark/thermark, because the T&M could be too high, in which case he'll have to resort to a screening process unless a shop with a YAG laser could be leveraged.

The larger of the two items is just under 19.25"x3"x3.25", which is the chassis, and the smaller part which is an access panel, is much shorter at 7.45"x3.25"x.65". The chassis will have etching on the top and front and only the front of the access panel.

I'm trying to assist him in finding a reliable source for this, so any input and or referals would be appreciated (I hope this is allowed on this forum). Somebody in the Los Angeles area is preferrable, but not required.

Bruce Volden
09-25-2009, 5:41 PM
Bob,

I don't know how big of an area is to be "marked" on the 19" piece, but you have to keep in mind that lasers like FLAT. So depending on the radius you should be able to have it marked with no problem. Cerdec/Cermark/Thermark........should all leave a nice, bold, lasting logo / mark. HTH

Bruce

Bob Savage
09-25-2009, 6:06 PM
Bob,

I don't know how big of an area is to be "marked" on the 19" piece, but you have to keep in mind that lasers like FLAT. So depending on the radius you should be able to have it marked with no problem. Cerdec/Cermark/Thermark........should all leave a nice, bold, lasting logo / mark. HTH

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

The surfaces for lasering are indeed, flat. The marking area would be text, possibly a logo and perhaps some symbols, but it would be for the most part spread across the entire length of the piece.

I received a PM indicating that I haven't provided enough information, however, I really wasn't intending this to be an RFP, I was hoping only to hook him up with somebody that's capable of providing high quality work (this guy is a perfectionist and will not tolerate inconsistency) and letting them work out the details.

Bruce Volden
09-25-2009, 8:00 PM
Bob

Sounds like a slam dunk easy job. I'm sure somebody out your way will do it just fine. PS~a laser is a "perfectionist" machine :cool:

Bruce