PDA

View Full Version : See any reason I can't raise my Table Saw 1 inch?

David Schmaus
09-25-2009, 3:40 PM
The short story is that my 68x30 workbench is 1 inch taller than my Sawstop and I would like to use the workbench for a outfeed table. Could I set the saw on a 1" thick piece of wood? Of course the extension table legs would have to be adjusted too...

Josiah Bartlett
09-25-2009, 3:48 PM
As long as you are comfortable working at that height, why not? I raised my Unisaw 2" by putting it on a mobile base. Just make sure it is stable.

David Schmaus
09-25-2009, 3:51 PM
Im 6'1 and built my workbench 2 inches taller and like it. I decided I needed a outfeed/assembly table but as I was looking in my 21x13 workshop realize that I don't have room for it so I thought I could use the workbench...

Rod Sheridan
09-25-2009, 4:08 PM
David, as others have posted, it's only smart to make your work items fit each other as well as your height.

Before raising your saw, I'd suggest checking your bench as well. Is it a comfortable height for you and the type of work you do?

Perhaps both need an adjustment.

Regards, Rod.

Brian Kent
09-25-2009, 4:14 PM
That works fine. I have adjusted the height of my workbench and a separate tool table to the height of the table saw, and the router table to the height of my bandsaw table, so that each part can support the other and not get in the way.

Mike Cruz
09-25-2009, 4:40 PM
Ha, this is so funny. This is the third thread that was posted with EXACTLY an issue I had. I built two work benches and my miter saw extension table at the height of my TS. I then got a new TS...2 inches shorter than my old one...even with the mobile base. So, I'm gonna have to raise mine up, too.

Bob Mircetic
09-25-2009, 4:49 PM
I actually raised mine 3 inches, so top of the saw is at about 37" high. I just placed 3 layers of 3/4" ply in the mobile base, then sat the saw on top of that. Has worked fine for me last 3 years.

mickey cassiba
09-25-2009, 5:12 PM
Won't help with your question, but I heard once that you could tell the age of the man by the height of his bench. Young men have their bench near the bottom of their reach. Older men's benches are located nearer the reach of their eyesight.

Mike Sandman
09-25-2009, 5:15 PM
Just make a base capable of holding a 500 or 600 pount saw.

I have a Jet cabinet saw & built a simple base from ripped-down 2x4's and angle iron. Screwed some adjustable feet into the wood. Solid as a rock. Had to use a prybar to get the cabinet up onto it.

See photo

Kyle Iwamoto
09-25-2009, 5:19 PM
Won't help with your question, but I heard once that you could tell the age of the man by the height of his bench. Young men have their bench near the bottom of their reach. Older men's benches are located nearer the reach of their eyesight.

LOL! Be careful, you may offend some of us OLD guys. That's profiling!

Actually my back gets tired, since I have to bend down so much to read the scale on the saw!:) Raising the saw high enough for me to read is out of the question.

David Schmaus
09-25-2009, 5:22 PM
I did turn 40 this year!!!!

mickey cassiba
09-25-2009, 5:22 PM
LOL! Be careful, you may offend some of us OLD guys. That's profiling!

Actually my back gets tired, since I have to bend down so much to read the scale on the saw!:) Raising the saw high enough for me to read is out of the question.
Hey I'm an old guy too. Plan to get older...beats the alternative!

Rick Dennington
09-25-2009, 7:22 PM
When I build all my shop furniture I build them up HIGH, and I'm only 5' 8"(and fat too)!! I've had 3 back surgeries,and don't want to bend over anymore than I have, especially at a workbench or t.s. So when I got my new Delta Unisaw a couple of months ago, it was 34". I built a "rizer" 4" tall out of 2 by stock, and used 3/4" ply for the top--glued and screwed. Then before I put it all together, me and my wife put that heavy mother up there. Then built a rizer for the ext. legs to match. Put it all together--- solid as a rock, and it matches my work bench perfectly. I also put some quarter round around the base-- that keeps it from shifting around. Just my 5 cents worth. Rick.

Sam Layton
09-25-2009, 9:57 PM
I raised my Powermatic 66 three sheets of 3/4" ply. Bolted the ply to the floor, and bolted the saw to the ply. Jointer and planer are raised as well.

Sam

John Coloccia
09-25-2009, 11:24 PM
The short story is that my 68x30 workbench is 1 inch taller than my Sawstop and I would like to use the workbench for a outfeed table. Could I set the saw on a 1" thick piece of wood? Of course the extension table legs would have to be adjusted too...

I use my workbench as an outfeed also, and had to raise my saw stop just about an inch. Works GREAT. I recently added an outfeed roller for shorter stock that doesn't quite make it to bench before tipping over.

Cody Colston
09-26-2009, 2:16 AM
I raised my 1023 app. 3 inches just because it was more comfortable for me at that height. I mitered 4x4 pieces to fit around the base and cut a 1/2" deep x 2" wide rabbet around the inside.

I lifted the saw onto the 4x4's one side at a time, tapped them into position and screwed through the miters with 3" screws. Once I painted the 4x4's black, it looked like part of the saw cabinet.

Jason White
09-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Sure. I raised mine up 6"! I'm 6'4", so whatever works.

Jason