PDA

View Full Version : What belt for Delta Midi

Nathan McFall
09-25-2009, 1:11 PM
The drive belt on my Delta Midi lathe has decided to shred on me (to the point of no use). Where in the world can I get another belt for it (I know I can get one at Woodcraft, but that's about 90 miles away and they only tend to keep one belt in stock). Does anyone know if there is a generic belt that can be used and where to buy (I've checked the local auto supply stores to no avail).

I've got a few items for the state fair (to be entered tomorrow) that I'd like to touch up so time is an issue.

And I'm also open to any suggestions as to why this thing shredded on my after about 10 hours of use (not constant use). I'm thinking maybe tension was too tight?

Greg Just
09-25-2009, 1:31 PM
You don't have too many options if you need one today or tomorrow. You could try finding an authorized Delta Service Center to see if they can help. Woodcraft might be your only option. Call and hold it with a credit card if they only have one.

With regards to the belt only lasting 10 hours, I would guess too much tension or an alignment problem. Perhaps a bad belt to start with?

Good luck finding a belt and with the fair.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-25-2009, 5:02 PM
Nathan I did get some from "Belts for anything" very helpful and friendly people, all you need is the length and width of your belt and the number of ridges/grooves and they will give you the belt needed, I paid $7.-- IIRC , Delta Service Centre was asking $36.-- :eek: no kidding :mad:

http://www.beltsforanything.com/site6.php

HTH

Tom Collins
09-25-2009, 9:46 PM
Great people to work with and fast service. I ordered a new belt for my Delta Midi (LA200) a year or so ago. It was a 250J3. Seemed a little tight at first but they always stretch a little and it is fine now. Much better belt than the original and shows no sign of wear.

TomCollins

Brian Brown
09-25-2009, 11:16 PM
With regards to the belt only lasting 10 hours, I would guess too much tension or an alignment problem. Perhaps a bad belt to start with?

Good luck finding a belt and with the fair.

What Greg said. I would definitely look at your pulley alignment. I ran my LA 200 belt much too tight for several years before I learned it didn't have to be so tight. I have a few hundred hours on a very abused belt, and it is still going, although it is starting to shred. I got an extra from dewaltservicenet.com . Fastish service, but a horrible website to navigate. $16.00 each, but that was a year ago, and before they discontinued the lathe. You might also call Woodcraft at the number on their website. They may be able to ship immediately. Good Luck.

mickey cassiba
09-26-2009, 9:29 PM
Hope it all worked out...and it may not mean anything now, but I had an old corvair that was a belt eater. Pantyhose makes excellent emergency belts. For anything belt driven. Still have a couple packs in each vehicle, and in the tool shed. Never know when a belt will break. Better safe than sorry.
Mick

Raul Tijerina
10-10-2009, 7:08 PM
Nathan, I recently purchased a belt for a 10" Delta midi at www.vbelts4less.com (http://www.vbelts4less.com/) . It is a "4 J-POLY-V BELT PN: 250J4" At $1.78 each, even if you go thru them quickly, its still affordable. They carry belts for just about everything. This belt has 4 ribs, the original had 3, so, one hangs off the edge, I suppose you could easily trim it off if it bothered anything.

PS. A little info:
Poly Vee belts have 3 different pitch designations.
J = 3/32" rib spacing and comes in 4,6,10 &16 ribs
L = 3/16" rib spacing and comes in 6,10,12,14,16,20 ribs
M = 3/8" spacing and comes in 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, & 20 ribs
250 = pitch length in inches (25.0")

So, the # 250J4 = 25.0" length, J pitch width and 4 ribs

Hope this helps,