PDA

View Full Version : Protect Old Unfinished Furniture

Marian Fairman
09-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi! I have several pieces of antique or vintage furniture in my house that I have inherited or collected over the years. I am not a woodworker, but I have done some refinishing and such for the pieces I have inherited.

Most recently I inherited an antique secretary bookcase, which I would estimate was made around the 1880s. I believe that it is red oak with mahogany veneer. There is a glass-fronted cabinet on top with adjustable shelves and drawers on the bottom.

However, when I received it, it was filthy. Beyond filthy, in fact. I'm not sure if it's smoke residue or just 100+ years of dirt, but it doesn't matter. The exterior veneer is in poor shape in parts, but I plan to wax it and it should look fine. The interior is unfinished, and because it was unfinished, was the filthiest part, because there was nothing to protect the wood. Several successive scrubbings with Murphy's oil soap have revealed the light red color of the wood, which started out black.

I'd like to be able to protect the unfinished interior of the top cabinet. It looks a bit dried out after all the cleaning. I'd like to retain the character of the piece, so I don't want to finish it. What would you recommend? Wax? Linseed oil? Lemon oil?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Marian Fairman

Scott Holmes
09-25-2009, 8:21 PM
Built in 1880 it most likely had a shellac finish.

Todd Carpenter
09-25-2009, 9:44 PM
Hi Marian,

I agree with J., it's most likely a shellac finish on the outside which would work well on your bare wood. Would definitely steer clear of linseed oil unless you mean boiled linseed oil, that will work fine as a finish - just be aware it doesn't build and won't protect much against scratching. Lemon oil I don't know anything about as a finish so I can't say. Wax will work but it's a sacrificial coating so it won't last long but for the inside it may be just fine

If it were me, I'd probably opt for a blond or amber shellac (2 to 3 coats) followed by a coat of wax.

HTH
Todd

Scott Holmes
09-26-2009, 12:00 AM
True lemon oil is Citrus and is BAD for wood and wood finishes. (Citrus Strippers comes to mind). The "Lemon Oil" that is hyped for wood care is really mineral oil with a lemon scent and who knows what else. Not really a finish other than for a cutting board which should be renewed weekly.

Wax will last a few weeks; BLO a bit longer, ditto for pure tung oil (IMHO an over HYPED inferior finish)

I would suggest a good cleaning and a light coat of shellac; amber, blond or garnet.

Garnet would be my choice very rich look.

Tony Bilello
09-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Shellac is where my money would go on a bet. Having said that, I would not change the finish. I would stick with shellac.
Some of that black crud you were talking about may be someones lazy attempt to brighten it up with oils and dust and stuff stuck to it over the years.