PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here have 3/4 thick slab granite for countertops?

Craig D Peltier
09-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Looking to see if theres any cons in this thickness.

So far I understand that 3/4 slab isnt good for any type of overhang i.e. islands

Also maybe not all but the guy I spoke with said that it only can come in bullnose through him an im not sure how many sides the bullnose is on , 2 or 3? Slabs are 25" x 9' I think.

Thanks

Belinda Barfield
09-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Craig,

I manage a stone fabrication facility. IMO, there aren't any cons in using 3/4" (2cm) thick granite. In our area it is typically used comercially, but not residentially. There usually isn't much of a cost savings between 2 cm and 3 cm and most homeowners like the "beefier" look of 3 cm. You can have a laminated (built up) edge on 2 cm but the cost of lamination will bump up the price close to that of 3 cm. Having said that, it is not uncommon for island tops to be 2 cm with a laminated edge. If you are considering 2 cm with a laminated edge be sure to ask your fabricator how he/she will address the sink cutout (if your sink is undermounted). Most fabricators do not laminate the sink cutout edge unless this is specifically requested.

Your fabricator should be able to edge as many sides as you want. If it comes "pre-edged" it is probably Chinese material. My company offers five standard edges at no up charge.

There are a few things to consider before selecting a Bullnose edge. First, a Bullnose makes the material appear thinner because it is rounded top and bottom. A Bullnose is also a "rollover" edge, meaning that any liquid that is spilled will roll over and around the bullnose, then down the cabinet face potentially into drawers and behind cabinet doors. All other common edges are "drip" edges. Any liquid spilled drips to the floor - easier for clean up.

Good luck with the countertops!

Ben Franz
09-25-2009, 6:58 PM
I've done many kitchens with overhanging sections of 3/4" granite. The underlayment is 5/8" plywood and the granite has a double thickness edge that hides the plywood. The plywood needs to be supported by some method to prevent flexing if someone leans or sits on the counter. One way is to use brackets or corbels underneath. These can interfere with leg/knee space of someone seated at the counter. I like to use 1/2" square steel tubes that fit into grooves routed in the underside of the plywood. The inboard end of the tube is screwed into the cabinet structure. I've never had a failure with this method. I spray paint the edge and underside of the plywood flat black before the top goes on - makes any bare wood invisible to the casual observer.

Belinda Barfield
09-25-2009, 7:18 PM
Sorry Craig, I didn't really address the overhang issue. I agree with Ben's method if you want to use 2 cm with a built up edge for an island or peninsula overhang. As I said previously, the cost of the laminated edge usually brings the 2 cm pretty close to the 3 cm price (at least in our area), so we rarely do 2 cm laminated.

Craig D Peltier
09-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all the info.

Question for Belinda, when you say laminated edge. What your telling me is a glued on edge to make it look thicker and get that edge detail correct?
Thus the extra labor drives up the cost.

Belinda Barfield
09-26-2009, 1:54 PM
Bingo Craig. A strip of 2 cm is laminated to the 2 cm countertop for all edges. The additional labor drives up the cost. On some stones the lamination line will hardly be visible. On highly figured stones, however, you will be able to see the adhesive line because of the variation in patterning of the stone. Virtually any edge that can be done on 3 cm can be done on 2 cm, so it isn't so much that lamination is done to get the detail correct, more that it is done to give the appearance of a thicker stone. We do on occasion do a laminated edge with 3 cm stone.

Craig D Peltier
09-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Bingo Craig. A strip of 2 cm is laminated to the 2 cm countertop for all edges. The additional labor drives up the cost. On some stones the lamination line will hardly be visible. On highly figured stones, however, you will be able to see the adhesive line because of the variation in patterning of the stone. Virtually any edge that can be done on 3 cm can be done on 2 cm, so it isn't so much that lamination is done to get the detail correct, more that it is done to give the appearance of a thicker stone. We do on occasion do a laminated edge with 3 cm stone.

Thanks , we went with 2.5 cm with eased edge only.