PDA

View Full Version : Best drywall screw/nail driver?

Jerry Olexa
09-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Finished up a couple walls in the new addition using drywall nails nailed by hand. Having quite a few more sheets to hang, wondering if there is a specific drill/driver that handles drywall screws or nails? I noticed my contractor in the past used a power drill (SENCO I believe) that handles strips or cartridges of 1-1/4" drywall nails. What is your experience and what do you recommend?? Thanks..The tired nailer:):confused:

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I used a Dewalt drywall screw gun that I thought was pretty good. Used a few in the past, and the Dewalt just seemed 'better'.

Dave Lash
09-25-2009, 11:47 AM
If you aren't doing it for a living, buying a dedicated drywall screw drill is hard to justify. Several companies make bits, that can be used in any regular or battery drill, to install drywall screws. I find that screws hold much better than nails, and have used the Dewalt bit for many drywall projects.

Vermont American http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xjv/R-100035514/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Dewalt http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xjv/R-100138402/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Tom Hargrove
09-25-2009, 1:00 PM
Jerry -

Both the "strip" guns and the fasteners they use are relatively expensive. I have a DeWalt drywall gun that I bought several years ago. I hang sheetrock infrequently, but can say that it has never let me down. DeWalt it seems to be the choice of the pros, at least in my area. "Streetprice" for a new DeWalt gun is $90 plus, but CL usually has several for sale at prices below $50.

The dimplers also work, but are designed for smaller jobs.

Jerry Olexa
09-26-2009, 1:25 PM
Thanks for the good advice. Visited the local Borg and Menards and looked @ the options...Seems to me unless you are an everyday pro drywall hanger, the strip machines are a little pricey for just occassional use like this. I bought a couple attachments and loaded up on drywall screws.Your advice guided me down the right path. I'll try this approach and if still challenging, I'll look into a dedicated gun later. My cautious side reminded me, I currently have 5-6 drill/drivers. Thanks again, guys.:)

Chris Kennedy
09-26-2009, 5:14 PM
My neighbor had a Senco, which he leant me when I rocked my shop. I loved it, and it was really convenient when putting sheetrock on the ceiling. You could basically operate it one handed. That's one of those tools that everybody needs to have a friend who has one.

Cheers,

Chris