PDA

View Full Version : Midi Lathe Set-up

mickey cassiba
09-25-2009, 10:45 AM
I've ot a Delta LA200 that I purchased while at delta. Al the bells and whistles I could find, bed extension, two chucks and a box of various face plates pirated from larger models. I also built a two posted tool rest to help me with spindle type turning. it mounts on two of the tool rest bases. No real tooling to speak of, just a set of mini gouges. I would like to mount the extension, but I'm not sure that it's necessary for "hobby turning". I've read posts regarding HS/TS alignment problems and am sure that this would only worsen as the distance increases. When all is said and done the machine will be mounted on a steady platform which will be then mounted on a Mobile base. Planned shop space will be limited (12x20) so the only permanent structure will be the bench, doubling as out-feed for the table saw(also mobile)
I have NO experience turning wood, except a few small pieces made to try out the lathe. I have, however, over twenty years experience on an engine lathe. Now I realize that wood turning and metal turning are about as similar as cats and dogs.
My questions for you fine folk are:
1. Bed extension, Yes or No?
2. Where to find pointers and tips for a complete rookie.
3. Suggestions for tooling.

To date, the only piece I've made worth looking at) is a 8" red oak cannon barrel with a 6" deep bore. Didn't set out to make a cannon, it just sort of happened.
Been lurking SMC for about a year and finally joined in. I've sent a check for upgrading to Contributor status. Feel it's only right to give back to a group that's already taught me so much.
Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions
Mickey

Jeff Nicol
09-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Mickey,

It seems that all your questions will be and can be answered here one the SMC Turners forum! We are full of answers and other stuff too!! The bed exstention is a good thing to have for those times when you would need it, but if you never plan on turning any long spindles then it may be something that you would not need. But keep it around just in case as everyday the wants and needs change! It sounds like you are set with all the big stuff so getting some tools is not a problem. You could buy a set of tools of any level of quality or buy only the tools that are good to start with and buy them from many sources until you find the ones that work best for you. I have every thing from Benjamins best to Crown, Thompson, Henry Taylor, Pinnicale, Packard, Kyro, Craftsman and more!! I use them all at times but the spindle and bowl gouges are very important along with a good skew, parting tool and roughing gouge. So that being said, money is always the deciding factor in the end so if money is not an issue you are ahead of the game! My favorite bowl gouges are a 3/8" packard and same size Thompson. The next are my crown Ellsworth signature 5/8 V or semi V gouge then the Thompson 5/8" "U" gouge. I use the Thompson for roughing a lot as it will really hog some wood! These all have different grinds and angles for what I use them for and that will also be needed to take into consideration when you get them in your hand and start using them, the grind is easy to change to meet your individual needs. I think that no matter what you get get the best steel you can, the Bens Best work but get dull fast as they are just HSS. There are better grades of HSS also and that comes from the manufacturer. Lots of varibles in turning and they all show themselves at different times so be prepared for more and more tool purchases as you go along!

Have fun and don't look back!

Jeff

mickey cassiba
09-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks Jeff,
As to money, seems to be in short supply lately. I do however have an almost unlimited supply of M2 HSS. I work for a wooden moulding company and we make our own tooling for the moulders.
While I have made a lot of metal working tools from HSS and carbide, I'm sure that the clearances and geometry are different for wood. Any recs for tech advice for WW tools?

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2009, 1:20 PM
Mickey sounds like you got a good start. Bed extension yes. Even if you don't turn long stuff you can slide your tailstock down out of your road when turning bowls, etc without having to take it off to get it out of the road. Depending on where you are at I would look into turning clubs in your area. Most are willing to help and answer questions. I am self taught as many on here are and when I started the first and best book I bought was by Keith Rowley called A Foundation Course and has a companion DVD. If you plan on doing bowls Bill Grumbine's Turned Bowls Made Easy is excellent. To begin with a set of tools from Penn State Industries has a set this one http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html that I bought and still use to this day most of them. Cheap enough to learn with and to learn to sharpen. Of course like Jeff I now have many high dollar tools that I use also. Ask away. You will get lots of good advice here at SMC.