PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Woodstock Woodshow (Oct 2,3,4)

Art Mulder
09-25-2009, 9:51 AM
Just a reminder, to anyone in the Ont/MI/OH/NY area (or anyone who wants to make the drive) that the annual Woodstock Woodshow (http://www.woodstockwoodshow.ca/) is NEXT WEEKEND -- the First weekend of October.

That is Friday Oct 2, Saturday Oct 3, and Sunday Oct 4.

Their website is, as always unfortunately, pretty spartan. If you want to find out more about what the show is like, I suggest you pop over to the canadianwoodworking.com forum and do an (advanced) search for topics with the word woodstock in the subject line.

I plan to be there on Saturday afternoon with my son, having a nice wander around. This is a woodshow with a country fair feel to it, as it is spread among several buildings, along with outdoor displays as well as a fair bit of non-wwing stuff (which is good for the kids and maybe your less-than-enthusiastic spouse...:p). The afternoon is the preferred time to go,no matter which day, as it is always very crowded from the opening til about 1pm.

Rob Cosman is always there. Lee Valley always has a good sized booth, hopefully with their usual show special of free shipping and no GST . Dave Eisan -- who is a semi-regular here on SMC -- is always there with the Federated Tool booth. And so on and so forth.

If anyone is planning on it, post a comment and maybe we can bump into each other and say howdy.

Matt Meiser
09-25-2009, 10:11 AM
I've always thought about coming up for that. Now we'd all have to get our passports or enhanced drivers licenses to come.

Art Mulder
09-25-2009, 11:32 AM
I've always thought about coming up for that. Now we'd all have to get our passports or enhanced drivers licenses to come.

Not sure how it is for you folks, but for us, the kids don't need the passport until age 16. Actually, it should be the same for you, since the US is the one that put in this requirement.

Matt Meiser
09-25-2009, 11:51 AM
They need some kind of ID card, but its considerably less than the passport. We could get enhanced driver licenses also considerably less, but I've read some bad things about the RFID tag in them--like that people have proven that they can be read by someone sitting in a car when you walk by with one in your wallet. We looked into everything so we could go to Niagara Falls on vacation but nixed the whole idea due to the cost and complexity.

Walt Caza
09-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Rob Cosman is always there.
If anyone is planning on it, post a comment and maybe we can bump into each other and say howdy.

Hi Art,
Just thought that I would mention that Rob C. was Not at last year's show.
If I recall correctly, you skipped this one last year.
There were a few conspicuous omissions, but still a worthwhile event.

I'd love a chance to say hello and shake your hand...
but the way things are shaping up, my only possibility would be Friday.

Thanks for posting the reminder,
have fun over there,
Walt

Art Mulder
09-26-2009, 11:29 PM
We looked into everything so we could go to Niagara Falls on vacation but nixed the whole idea due to the cost and complexity.

I had to get a passport a couple years ago for a needed trip, so all we had to do this year was get my wife a passport. We decided to forget any funky new kind of smart ID and just get your basic passport. Yeah, it's around $80 for us, but what can you do? For the kids, we just need their birth certificates.

Hi Art,
Just thought that I would mention that Rob C. was Not at last year's show.
If I recall correctly, you skipped this one last year.
There were a few conspicuous omissions, but still a worthwhile event.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I think I did skip last year. Rob C is no longer the Lie Nielsen rep in Canada, so I guess it is now totally up to him what shows he attends. Hmm, it isn't listed on his website, so maybe he won't be there. Lee Valley will be there, I saw that confirmed on their website.

Oh well, people come and go. I still think it'll be a good time.

What did someone say ... oh yeah: "A bad day at the woodshow is still better than a good day at work" ;):D