PDA

View Full Version : G0661 table saw arbor question

Dave Hasson
09-25-2009, 9:06 AM
I'm putting together my Grizzly G0661 table saw. I also just purchased a Super General blade. The blade on the saw was bolted down quite tight. I actually bent the wrench that holds the arbor trying to get it off. I had to use a real wrench on the arbor side and a 1/2" socket to undo the bolt! I looked at the arbor and noticed some of the material had deformed a bit around where the arbor wrench goes. Is this going to be a problem? It seems the arbor material was a bit "soft". I was able to get the new blade on and tighten with no problems. Thanks!

Jason White
09-25-2009, 9:08 AM
The blade wrench that came with my G1023 deformed, too. You're right, it's soft and bends easily. Call Grizzly and they'll mail you a new one.

Jason

I'm putting together my Grizzly G0661 table saw. I also just purchased a Super General blade. The blade on the saw was bolted down quite tight. I actually bent the wrench that holds the arbor trying to get it off. I had to use a real wrench on the arbor side and a 1/2" socket to undo the bolt! I looked at the arbor and noticed some of the material had deformed a bit around where the arbor wrench goes. Is this going to be a problem? It seems the arbor material was a bit "soft". I was able to get the new blade on and tighten with no problems. Thanks!

Mike Wilkins
09-25-2009, 9:17 AM
I have a better idea than calling Grizzly. Find a real wrench used by mechanics
which will be beefier and less likely to deform. Get a box end wrench which can grip all sides of the nut. Hope this helps.

Dave Hasson
09-25-2009, 9:24 AM
From now on I will be using my real wrenches. My big concern was that some of the shaft material deformed a bit while trying to remove the blade. I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about.

glenn bradley
09-25-2009, 9:27 AM
The stamped wrenches that came with my non-Griz saw were loose and tended to leave what I feared would become round-over on the arbor and nut. I picked up a tappet and a combo wrench on sale at Sears and use those now.

Dave Hasson
09-25-2009, 9:47 AM
tended to leave what I feared would become round-over on the arbor

Glenn, those are the words I was looking for. I'm just going to toss the supplied ones and begin using my better tools to make blade changes.

mickey cassiba
09-25-2009, 11:16 AM
+1 on the real wrenches...fortunately the stamped ones are really not hard enough to damage the machine parts that are usually of a higher quality steel. They are however, quite useful for doorstops and shims under wobbly machine bases.
Mickey

Kevin Hartnett
09-25-2009, 12:08 PM
One other note: you shouldn't be tightening your arbor nuts such that you bend even the soft stamped wrenches that come with the saw. I realize you are talking about taking off a nut that was factory tightned or tightened by some one else, but I think it bears repeating. The arbor and threads are designed such that the nut will not come loose (if the blade is on correctly), and may even tighten slightly when the saw is started. A snug tug with whichever wrench you use should do the trick.

Kevin H.