PDA

View Full Version : Southern Style Gloat

Tony Greenway
09-24-2009, 11:01 PM
I, along with my son Max have just finished the best turning weekend you could ask for and we didn't even turn on our lathes. We attended the Turning Southern Style XV Symposium in Helen, Ga. The guest demonstrators this year were master turners, Bill Grumbine, Al Stirt, Art Liestman, Nick Cook and Joe Getty. They really put on some outstanding demos. Another awesome turner we met while there was John Jordan. Although he was wearing his vender hat for this event, it was a real honor to meet him. Ruth Niles is someone else there who deserves an honorable mention for her generosity and advice. The guy in the photo with the rabbit ears provided by B. Grumbine is the Symposium chairman, Harvey Meyer who did a great job. You can see more pics with details in Max's album located on my profile page, be sure to check them out.

Steve Schlumpf
09-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Tony - sure looks like you had a lot of fun! Great photos - here and in Max's album! I'm jealous of all the well known turners you got to meet! Pretty cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Richard Madison
09-25-2009, 12:34 AM
Good post Tony! Very cool that you and especially your son got to meet so many of the "big guys". BTW I think of Ruth as one of the "big guys" too.

Walt Caza
09-25-2009, 2:54 AM
Hi Tony,
Awesome turning gloat!
Glad you and Max enjoyed the demo's.
You and your little man hanging with the big dogs!
very cool,
thanks for sharing,
Walt

Harvey Meyer
09-25-2009, 3:33 PM
So here I am - out of the goodness of my heart - I'm trying to show Grumbine how to core with his McNaughton system and he's busy clowning around. He's never going to learn how to use that thing. Well, I tried to teach him.....
Harvey

Tony Greenway
09-25-2009, 5:47 PM
Hey Harvey, or "#1" as you liked to be called, are you sure that you attended the same Grumbine demonstration as the rest of us? :confused:

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2009, 8:40 PM
Tony looks like a great time was had by you and your son. Bill is a kick.

Tony Greenway
09-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Richard, thanks for the reply about our weekend adventure. Your statement about Ruth Niles got me to thinking about her turning talents. I honestly thought her beautiful bottle stoppers were her specialty, but after researching her other turnings, I now know that she definitely belongs up on the porch with the 'Big Dogs'. So I would like to apologize to Ruth for my ignorance of your turning abilities, and also that Max says hello.:)