PDA

View Full Version : FWW Publication Issue

Ben Franz
09-24-2009, 10:55 PM
In an earlier thread, I posted a complaint about duplicate content in two different FWW titles. The thread drew a number of comments about FWW and other magazines and quality of content. I wanted to post a follow up to that discussion.

First, when contacted, the Taunton Press customer service department was completely responsive and issued a refund for the purchase and shipping cost, then told me to keep the item anyway. Kudos.

My more general complaint about business practices and decline of quality was forwarded to Anatole Burkin (former editor and publisher). He sent me an email inquiring about the problem resolution and asking for any comments on the larger topic of content and quality. I sent a reply that may be of no value to them but the fact that they asked says a lot. I commend Taunton for their response and handling of my complaints.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-25-2009, 1:48 AM
Glad to know they are listening!

Matt Bickford
09-25-2009, 8:13 AM
It sounds like they may have gotten you to continue buying their books and magazine without really doing anything. Customer service can be easy.

Ben Franz
09-25-2009, 6:43 PM
It sounds like they may have gotten you to continue buying their books and magazine without really doing anything. Customer service can be easy.

You mean other than do their best to satisfy an irate customer? The original thread stirred up a few people and generated several negative statements about FWW. The tone of my post was definitely negative. I started this thread to follow up on that negativity and to give FWW credit for their response. It's what responsible adults do. True enough, there has been no major improvement in their product as a result - they've had 2 weeks after all!

BTW, I decide what to purchase based on perceived value and interest, not because I've been duped by "easy" customer service. Thanks so much for your helpful concern, though.

Matt Stiegler
09-25-2009, 6:47 PM
In an earlier thread, I posted a complaint about duplicate content in two different FWW titles. The thread drew a number of comments about FWW and other magazines and quality of content. I wanted to post a follow up to that discussion.

First, when contacted, the Taunton Press customer service department was completely responsive and issued a refund for the purchase and shipping cost, then told me to keep the item anyway. Kudos.

My more general complaint about business practices and decline of quality was forwarded to Anatole Burkin (former editor and publisher). He sent me an email inquiring about the problem resolution and asking for any comments on the larger topic of content and quality. I sent a reply that may be of no value to them but the fact that they asked says a lot. I commend Taunton for their response and handling of my complaints.

Classy post, Ben. Thanks for the update.

Peter Quinn
09-25-2009, 7:52 PM
Good to hear it. I suspected they would do just such a thing. Certainly their publications are not perfect, and the recycling of content for which I may pay repeatedly in different formats can be annoying, but they continue to be one of the best wood working education publications in business in this country. Its good to know the CS is responsive as well.

Sometimes I need to see the same material several times before the dim glimmer of light enters my brain. I tend to have more 'Duh...Ohhh...Yupp..NOW I get it...' moments than "Eureka" ones. They may be recycling material in an effort to help people like me?

In any event thanks for the update, and Kudos to you for setting the tone and the record straight.