PDA

View Full Version : Not a gloat

Richard Dooling
09-24-2009, 9:17 PM
Finally picked up a #40 at a price that I could stomach . It wants some reworking but overall in good shape with an iron that looks like it may be full length.
Here’s my question: the end of the blade rests lightly on the tote. Is this normal? It looks like the correct tote from what I’ve seen on Blood and Gore.

Sam Takeuchi
09-24-2009, 9:25 PM
I think originally the blade wasn't intended to rest on the handle, but I've seen few that do. If you screw in cap screw and the blade rests on the bedding without forcing it too much, I guess that's alright. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't worry about it.

If there's a big gap between bedding and blade and requires forcible tightening and bending the iron just to seat the blade on the bedding, it might be a good idea to remove some from the top of the handle.

Richard Dooling
09-24-2009, 9:34 PM
No everything seems to fit nice and tight with no forcing and though I need to get the edge up to snuff everything looks good. It just seemed a little funny. This is the later model with the vertical blade support added to the casting. Thanks.

Sam Takeuchi
09-24-2009, 9:44 PM
Eventually your scrub blade will be short enough to clear the handle in time. Then it'll look normal :D