PDA

View Full Version : Tips on finishing cherry drawer fronts with poplar sides

jason mowery
09-24-2009, 8:44 PM
Good Evening-

I'm almost done with the cherry lingerie cabinet in Wood Magazine a few issues back. The drawers are constructed with a locking lipped joint (not sure what its actual name is) created using a dado set, so the connection between the poplar sides and the cherry front is very visible and quite a contrast. I haven't yet decided if I want to finish it with cherry Minwax gel stain and Antique oil finish, or just go with the oil finish only. At any rate, how should I go about handling the sides? I don't want the top of the drawers where the joints show to look unfinished, and can't think of a way to not get some finishing material on the poplar, but also REALLY don't want to finish all that poplar either. WHat's SOP here?

Thanks a ton. Hope all of you are having a great evening!

Jeff Monson
09-25-2009, 3:03 PM
I usually finish my drawers, sprayed laquer or wipe on poly is my choice (sanding between coats). I would think unfinished poplar would get dirty looking after a short time. Finishing the drawers also leaves a nice smooth surface.

As far as keeping the stain off of the poplar there are several ways to go about it, you can tape off the joint and stain (which can lead to some bleedthrough), you can stain just the outside of the drawer face (if its not to drastic of a color change), you can put a seal coat of dewaxed shellac and then tape off the joint and stain (I think this leaves the best results). I'm sure others will chime in on more options for you also.

Chris Friesen
09-25-2009, 6:37 PM
I don't want the top of the drawers where the joints show to look unfinished, and can't think of a way to not get some finishing material on the poplar, but also REALLY don't want to finish all that poplar either. WHat's SOP here?

Historically drawer sides and insides usually weren't finished, so you could reasonably just finish the front piece before glue-up. If you've already glued up the drawers, just finish right across the top and you get a bit of finish on part of the poplar. Nobody will ever see it, and 99% of those that do won't care.

If you do want to finish the inside of the drawer, use something that dries fast without smelling. Shellac works well.

Scott Holmes
09-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Jason,

Why do you want to stain Cherry?

Cherry does not stain well it blotchs and I kown no wood that ages and adds patina faster or more dramatically than Cherry.

Gel stain hides more grain and character than other stains it does blotch less but it's not worth it in my projects. If you are going to stain it cherry color use poplar if you are going to use Cherry SHOW IT OFF!

Casey Gooding
09-26-2009, 4:24 PM
The only thing I ever put on drawers is a light coat of shellac (and that happens rarely). Finishes on enclosed surfaces like drawers can gas off inside the case and smell awful, not to mention getting that smell into whatever is in the drawer. In most cases, it's best to leave them unfinished.

My favorite finish for Cherry (and I work with lots of cherry) is a simple homemade finish. I use equal parts Varnish (or polyurethane, your choice), boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. Sometimes I add Tung oil if I have it handy. Wipe it on liberally, let sit for a few minutes, then wipe off the excess. It will take several coats, but will look great. The oil soaks into the cherry nicely and gives it great depth and color.

Jerry Olexa
09-26-2009, 5:04 PM
My thoughts: shellac only on inside. Others will gas for a long time.
Outside cherry: BLO followed by shellac topcoat..Cherry too good to cover up with stain IMHO