PDA

View Full Version : Disk Sander for Segment bowls

Dahl Troy Perry
09-24-2009, 8:11 PM
I'm looking for a 12 in disk sander for sanding segment pieces and want one that holds the table at 90 deg and won't drift while sanding.Have looked at Delta,Riken, jet don't want to spend alot on one (it will be new) what do others use pros and cons please help me decide.

Mike Minto
09-24-2009, 8:22 PM
i use Harbor Freight's 12" sander - not for segmented work (yet), but it does a very good job. very well balanced, aluminum table (which some consider a negative). nice tool - too bad a worker at the store was snotty to me the day i bought it. mike

Stephen Johnson
09-24-2009, 9:22 PM
i use Harbor Freight's 12" sander - not for segmented work (yet), but it does a very good job. very well balanced, aluminum table (which some consider a negative). nice tool - too bad a worker at the store was snotty to me the day i bought it. mike

I wondered how well that thing worked, any segmented guys have input on how it or the Grizzly equivalent work?

Robert McGowen
09-24-2009, 9:29 PM
I have used a Jet 12" for a couple of years. I do not see how you can do segmented work without one! :rolleyes:

Richard Madison
09-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Dahl,
Have read several favorable comments on the Jet 12". If you get a poor quality machine with a lot of vibration it will not do what you want. I don't sand individual segments (good saw blade), but I do sand half rings on home built disc sander on the lathe.

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-25-2009, 1:32 AM
Dahl, I'll just add, you get what you pay for (mostly). It's been my experience that the cheaper 12" sanders are almost not worth the trouble. In addition to my 20" sander, I use a 12" jet and I've found it to be a far superior sander compared to the other common 12" sanders. Of course, it's also considerably more money.

Dahl Troy Perry
09-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the info now all I have to do is find the best price and get it home with out the wife seeing it for a whileso I can say O that old tool I've had it for a while:rolleyes:

Dick Sowa
09-26-2009, 6:11 AM
I got a used Delta 31-120 12" sander a couple years ago, and have been very happy with it. Rock solid cast iron table and good dust collection.