PDA

View Full Version : Planer problem

Mike Newell
09-24-2009, 6:15 PM
I have a rigid planer that has worked well until recently. Now I get a line (small groove) down the board. I changed the blades and still get the line. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

Ken Shoemaker
09-24-2009, 7:23 PM
If you've changed the blades, check two things first: #1 - that there is not a burr on the the tables that are causing the scratch #2 that there is not a burr or a raised screw on the knife barrel.

Good luck!

Mike Newell
09-24-2009, 8:11 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The line is on the up side so it isn't the table. Do you know how I would check for a raised screw on the knife barrel?

Myk Rian
09-24-2009, 8:22 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The line is on the up side so it isn't the table. Do you know how I would check for a raised screw on the knife barrel?
Go through the motions of changing blades and look for a screw head sticking up.

Rick Dennington
09-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Mike, if you're getting the groove on the top side that you are plaining, sounds to me like something is caught or hung on the feed rollers. Mine did that once and I had a piece of wood that had gouged into the roller. Like you, I changed the blades,set the heigth of the knives, etc. So you might check that, for starters. Something is afoul. My 2 cents. Rick.