PDA

View Full Version : Mortising Attachment

mickey cassiba
09-24-2009, 4:32 PM
I'm still unpacking my "Work Shop in a Box" as my wife calls it(Old Conex I bought when I moved from Tennessee and filled with tools and accessories purchased while working at Delta).
One of the things I found was a Delta mortising attachment kit that I bought mainly for the fence. Employee discounts can make you buy some really dumb stuff. Have any of you folks got any experience with such a device? I't would likely go on my bench-top drill press, and would not be used for any really hard work, as I don't intend to do any hard work. Mostly artsy stuff, in thin hardwoods.
Think it's worth using or should I throw it up on the CL and try to get a little wood money?
Mickey

Bill Huber
09-24-2009, 4:40 PM
If you have all the bits and chisles they work ok for now and then. They are not like a real mortise machine but I have had very good luck when I have used mine. You do have to have the chisels real sharp to get good looking mortises.

mickey cassiba
09-24-2009, 4:47 PM
I've got scads of chisel/bits, we weren't allowed to send old ones out in the recon packages, bought them at scrap metal prices. probably 200 in all 4 sizes. All brand new.

Ben Martin
09-24-2009, 5:35 PM
Geez, you can send some to me if you consider that a problem! :D

I wish that I could actually use the product that I help put out, unfortunately it wouldn't even fit in my back yard...

Bill White
09-24-2009, 5:55 PM
If you can get it working, tell me how to use mine. I've fooled with the darned thing 'till I blue in the face. Sharp chisels, sharp bit, bit clearance ok, not forcing the bit.........What's wrong?
Bill

Rick Dennington
09-24-2009, 6:56 PM
Mickey, I bought the Delta mortising attachment years ago to go on the drill press. It's a pain to get on and fool with, but once you get it set up, it works really good. Drawback: it ties up your drill press, and if you need to use it, you got to tear down the morticing attachment, put it back on later when you need it, so on and so on. I used mine about 8-10 times ,and I said to heck with this, and went and bought a Delta Bench top mortice machine. I'm glad I did, cause I build furniture and have made 100's of mortices. The d.p. is freedup and no more fuss.

Bill: you have to put the drill bit into the chizel, put them both in the chuck, and then push up on the drill bit all the way into the chuck and lock it down, keeping the chizel square. The drill bit will stick out the bottom of the chizel just a tad. Make sure the chizel is square to make the mortice, and your set to go. Hopes this helps, also.

mickey cassiba
09-24-2009, 8:30 PM
Mickey, I bought the Delta mortising attachment years ago to go on the drill press. It's a pain to get on and fool with, but once you get it set up, it works really good. Drawback: it ties up your drill press, and if you need to use it, you got to tear down the morticing attachment, put it back on later when you need it, so on and so on. I used mine about 8-10 times ,and I said to heck with this, and went and bought a Delta Bench top mortice machine. I'm glad I did, cause I build furniture and have made 100's of mortices. The d.p. is freedup and no more fuss.

Bill: you have to put the drill bit into the chizel, put them both in the chuck, and then push up on the drill bit all the way into the chuck and lock it down, keeping the chizel square. The drill bit will stick out the bottom of the chizel just a tad. Make sure the chizel is square to make the mortice, and your set to go. Hopes this helps, also.
Rick, I have a spare DP. Payroll deductions were cool!!! Wondering about the spider though, The new Deltas and most of the other chaiwanese units are notorious for stripping out if more than nominal pressure is put on the arms. Any issues?
Mick
That and the boss said no more toys 'til you play with the ones you got!!