PDA

View Full Version : Filling gaps

Matt Benton
09-24-2009, 1:32 PM
I have just finished gluing up my blanket chest, and have some gaps between the pins and tails.

Does anyone have any experience with any adhesive (epoxy, superglue, etc.) that I could inject into the gaps that would bond with the Titebond Extend that I originally used? It appears to be holding fine now, but am not confident long-term.

Thanks!

Lee Schierer
09-24-2009, 1:53 PM
Depending upon the size and deth, you can make small wedges of the same material and grain direction and insert them in teh gaps for an invisible patch.

John Thompson
09-24-2009, 1:58 PM
It should hold fine without glue for that matter but.. if you want to fill the gap left note Lee's post on using wooden wedges. I have used epoxy mixed with color (coffee grounds.. etc. etc..) on occasion but rarely find the need anymore as I've gotten pretty good with DT's after all these years.

Good luck as I'm back to the shop...

Doug Shepard
09-24-2009, 2:09 PM
Depending upon the size and deth, you can make small wedges of the same material and grain direction and insert them in teh gaps for an invisible patch.

That's the best way. Thin long grain patches can be made with a hand plane set for a thick shaving. Gaps at the ends are a little tougher as the end grain shims like to crumble as you make or insert them. But if you pick the same general figure/grain to make them from, only you will be able to tell where they're at afterward, and you'll have to look hard to see them.

Matt Benton
09-24-2009, 3:58 PM
Actually, when I glued up the chest, I had some warp that I had to flatten out with the clamps. I know that created some pretty good pressure on a couple of corners. If I had wood-on-wood, I would count on the glue to do the job, but since I have gaps all the way down, I really feel like I need to fill those gaps with something that will provide adhesion.

My concern is structural, not aesthetic...