PDA

View Full Version : Jointer on a Budget

Ben Mathews
03-24-2003, 7:50 PM
Hi all!
SWMBO and I have been discussing a jointer, and I would like some advice. I have a budget of no more than $500 after tax and delivery. I don't have either the room or the extra cash for a 8", so a 6" is going to have to do. Looking at Toolseeker, this allows me to get a Grizzley, Jet, Delta, or Powermatic, etc. Unfortunately, I am 1 hour from the nearest HD, and 3 hours from the nearest dedicated woodworking store, so I have no easy way to get my hands on any of these brands. Therefore, I am going to make my purchase based on the advice received here. Also note that any savings may find their way into a planer fund. I have read the FW Tools and Shops review, as well as a couple of others, but none have really said BUY THIS ONE!!!. Thanks!

Gary Hupp
03-24-2003, 8:27 PM
Everything being equal, Powermatic hands down.

chris toomey
03-24-2003, 8:34 PM
jet ....5 years no complaints....wish i had an 8 inch....

Ron McNeil
03-24-2003, 8:35 PM
Ben, I have the Powermatic 54 Model 6" jointer and I'm very happy with it. It works great and I'm not experiencing any snipe. It cost $399.00 new plus shipping

David Reid
03-24-2003, 9:07 PM
I would seriously check out Gizzly. I have their 6" model which was +/- $450 shipped to my house. Works great and was easy to set-up right out of the box. www.grizzly.com.

Good Luck.

Dave in NH

Dave Avery
03-24-2003, 9:07 PM
I have a Delta 37-195.... like it OK. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone with the Powermatic 54A, which is slightly over your budget.

If you can live without the jointer for now, I'd recommend waiting and getting a good long bed - either the 54A or one of the low end 8 inch models.

Good luck with your decision. Dave.

Ben Mathews
03-24-2003, 9:18 PM
OK, in 5 posts I see votes for the Jet, Grizzly, and Powermatic. I am sure glad we are getting this narrowed down!:confused: I see that the Powermatic in my budget is a 3/4 HP while the others are 1 HP. Is this a problem? Any votes for the Rigid?

Thanks!

John Miliunas
03-24-2003, 9:26 PM
OK, so this probably doesn't help with narrowing it down, and although I don't personally own one, the 6" Bridgewood has received great reviews. The vendor, Wilke Machinery is one of the top-notch customer service-oriented outfits around. Their 6" unit is on sale now for @$400 and I'll bet that w/shipping, it should come in under your 5-bill cap. Check it out at:
http://www.wilkemachinery.com/SalesFlyer.tpl

Oh yeah...In most *any* WW equipment, Wilke is on my "short list" when it comes to making a final decision. I have a couple pieces from them and no complaints here. :cool:

Dennis McDonaugh
03-24-2003, 9:30 PM
Doesn't matter. Unless you get a lemon you won't be able to tell the difference between any of them. Motor size won't matter either with a 6" jointer. It's not like you'll be trying to hog off 1/4" off a board.

Jim Baker
03-24-2003, 9:35 PM
and like it.

JayStPeter
03-24-2003, 9:43 PM
that almost everyone that owns a 6" jointer (including me) wants an 8". Also, jointers are very simple machines. As long as the tables are flat and parallel and the fence relatively twist free, they do their job. At $380 delivered, the Grizzly seems to be the best deal out there. Their customer service will ensure that you get a machine that works. That's what I'd go for. Plus, they often sell used for nearly the new price on ebay. Can't beat that. Buy the machine, use it until you can afford an upgrade, sell for nearly new price.
That said, most of the 6" jointers seem to do well on ebay. But, my feeling is that the Grizzly, Ridgid and Jet jointers seem to sell closest to their purchase prices regularly. The Ridgid would be my second choice. Looks like a nice machine.
Personally, if I was spending the dough on a PM, I'd get a Grizzly 8". So, that option would fall out of the equation for me.

Bob Lasley
03-24-2003, 9:50 PM
Ben,

I have a six inch Grizzly and have been quite pleased. It has performed flawlessly for three years. However, as Jay said, I look forward to upgrading to at least an 8" if not wider in the future. That being said, a 6" jointer is better than no jointer.

Good luck with your decision,
Bob

Chris Christopher
03-24-2003, 9:52 PM
I have had my Rigid for three years now --have had no problems at all - good tool for the money

Ben Mathews
03-24-2003, 9:55 PM
I think that I am starting to lean towards the base model Grizzly with the handwheels. Other than the handwheels vs. levers, what is benefit of buying the Z-series? It looks like the base is a little bit beefier, the power switch is on the front instead of the side, and that's about it. Am I wrong? Is it worth the extra $70?

Keith Hall
03-24-2003, 10:38 PM
Ben, I opted for the G1182ZHW because I wanted the heaviest base I could get. The base is one piece with the motor already mounted. The front mounted switch is very easy to turn off with my knee. For safety reasons, I may change to a magnetic switch later. I did not like the eye level switch on the G1182ZX. The hand wheels are eazy to use and the beds were perfectly aligned and ready to use out of the box. I feel that the extra money was well spent. Keith

John Miliunas
03-24-2003, 10:48 PM
...but I haven't had the "fantastic customer service" from Grizz that everyone talks about. Not tryig to badmouth here, becasue I know many folks have been very happy with them. Just relaying some real-life experiences, which may be limited to just yours truly.

Quite some time ago, I ordered several smaller items from them, including some "Board Buddies", which from what I understand, their "sister" company manufactures and/or sells. Well, I got the order minus the BB's. I figured they're shipping seperately. I waited another solid week and finally called them. Only then was I informed the things were on BO for close to a month or two. I asked why they didn't inform me of this and they just kinda' blew me off. I ended up buying them, but elsewhere.

Not wanting to let a single bad experience turn me "off" to them, I still kept them on my list when looking for tool purchases. Some time ago, like yourself, I started researching jointers. Not being able to tell any major differences in their 6" units, I emailed "Customer Service" and simply asked them if they could better explain it. Guess not, 'cuz I never received an answer. Same goes with trying to get this year's full catalog from them. Two requests in, thus far, but not a peep outta' them. They are now all but completely off of any tool list, much less the "short list" for me. I work hard for my $$ and if more than one outfit has similar products for similar prices, the one with the better CS will get that cash. That's one of the reasons I recommended Wilke to you earlier on. Those folks *respond* and do so quite quickly. Just my $00.02. :cool:

Joe_Ott
03-25-2003, 11:50 AM
if you've decided on which one to buy, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 pennies...

I have a Delta 6" jointer I bought from the local Woodcraft 2 years ago. I do not like it nor would I recommend it. For two reasons:

1) it's too small! Not Delta's fault for sure. But like everybody says, get the 8". They say that for a reason. I really wish I would have listened to them then.

2) the quality of the one I have is not too good to be sure. The fence has so much slop in the adjustment, that it just wont stay square to the bed. And, even when the fence is tightened down, it can wiggle and/or move. Just not happy with it. Kinda wish I had bought the Jet.

I have other Jet equipment (DC110, BS...) and have been real happy with it. However, that said, if I were to buy a new jointer today, knowing what I know now, I would go 8" for sure and would probably look hard at Grizzly.

There are pro's and con's to getting a Grizzly. You've read it all I'm sure. But, I don't think your chances of getting a bad one are any greater than gettting a bad Jet, Delta, PM... Ford, Chevy, Honda.... Know what I mean? I even heard once that a Honda left the factory once with less than perfect quality! :)

I have the Grizzly 1023SL Cabinet saw. Never a problem with it. Runs smooth and set-up without a hitch. I've said it here before (maybe it was the Pond or WC, whatever) that I wouldn't trade my Grizzly 1023SL for my fathers Unisaw or brothers PM66. I like it that much and the Delta has nothing over the 1023 in my opinion.

So... I'd look at the Jet or Grizzly. If I could squeeze out the cash, I'd go 8".

This is based on my experiences. And remember, it's just my opinion :) . Oh yeah, one more disclaimer, I'm no expert either! Good luck,
Joe

Scott Coffelt
03-25-2003, 12:52 PM
I have the 6" cabinet jointer and love it. I have heard recently some good reviews on the SunHill. Also, the General is in the same price range and has long tables so that is a plus.

Personally, I like the wheels versus the levers. Good Luck. Also, save you some money and add link belt to what ever you buy.

Kyle Koenig
03-25-2003, 5:16 PM
I recently purchased the Grizzly 6" - the base model with the unassembled stand. Prior to purchase, I emailed them with this question: ?Can you please tell me the differences between the G1182HW and the G1182ZHW?.

Here is the response:

?We appreciate your interest in our products. The G1182ZHW comes with a dust port and a cabinet style 1 piece formed stand. The G1182HW comes with a stand that must be put together.?

Based on that, I saved the $100 and went with the base model. Now I just need to find the time to set it up!

robertfsmith
03-26-2003, 1:25 AM
Amazon has a JET 708457K / JJ-CSX 6" for $499.99 and free shipping.

http://www.allwoodwork.com/storeimages/Jet708457Kjointer6Amazon.jpg

I have the Delta 6" and it's alright, but I think I'm gonna try something different next time I upgrade. Maybe a PM 60 8" if I ever win the lottery.:)

Kent Cori
03-26-2003, 9:43 AM
I have the Griz G1182HW model on a ShopFox mobile base. The jointer cabinet base was a bit of a PITA to assemble since it has dozens of small sheet metal screws that are used. However, it only took about 45 minutes to get eveything put together and the base is fine once assembled. My only complaint is that it is a little top heavy which means you need to take care when moving it around. In hindsight, I should have rigged some type of weight at the bopttom of the stand level. A 2X board with a concrete block on top and the ends of the board bolted to the stand would work great. Now that I think of it, sounds like a good Saturday project.;)

The jointer was easy to adjust and has worked very well for the past year. The motor is plenty powerful enough and has never bogged down on me.

I too would like an 8" unit but don't have enough space in my garage and don't like paying twice the cost. The Griz does a great job for the money. And, you can put the $120 saved towards a new planer:D

Stan Smith
03-26-2003, 10:32 AM
When I got my jointer, I was on a budget, too. I got a Reliant from Trendlines. It was the cheapest around at the time. I still have it and just used it yesterday. It does an adequate job, but I wish I had a better quality and bigger one. It doesn't have the ledge to do rabbets which I wish it did. Wayne Miller (from Badger Pond) wrote a review article on it and he used this jointer for many years. I don't know what the price is on them now, but you might find a used one around. I can sympathize with you on not having stores around. I buy a lot via mail order here mostly from ToolCrib. FWIW

Stan

Phil Phelps
03-26-2003, 12:20 PM
...very important in decorating your shop. Don't buy colors that clash.

Greg Scott
03-26-2003, 2:06 PM
You can get the 1182HW for $380 delivered. This leaves you with another $120.00 to get a nice pc 1 3/4 horse router as well!!

G1182HW (http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G1182HW&site=grizzly)

Ted Shrader
03-26-2003, 6:16 PM
Phil, Feng Shuei for the shop? :)

Originally posted by Phil Phelps
...very important in decorating your shop. Don't buy colors that clash.
Ben -

I think John Miliunas had a good recommendation on the Bridgewood. Their 6" is on sale right now. Friend at work just got one and is very pleased. Good fit, finish and performance. Easy to set up and use right out of the box.

Alternative - Any chance of used equipment around your area? We have the weekly classified newspaper that has a bunch of stuff like that in it.

Good luck,
Ted

John Miliunas
03-26-2003, 6:50 PM
Another reason Wilke will remain on my own short list for equipment, is their in-house QA. Among other things, even though their equipment comes from across the pond, they clean it up and test it before it gets shipped to you. I'm not sure this is true for their China built equipment (Yorkcraft), but this IS the information I've received concerning their Bridgewood brand. Not having to deal with gobs of "Cosmolene" is a blessing unto itself.:D :cool:

Jeff Cybulski
03-26-2003, 6:56 PM
I just bought a 6" Yorkcraft from Wilke. $299 plus $86 for freight. I've herard it was the same as the Delta professional 6" and it is. The Delta has a better finish on the castings, but not the table and fence. Mine arrived with perfectly flat tables and the fence was at 90deg. out of the crate. Even the manual is the Delta one as they reference the paddle switch tha tthe Delta has mounted above.
Jointed some Poplar and Maple last night and it perfromed flawlessly.

Foe the price I think it's the best deal around, and the customer service at Wilke was outstanding.

Jeff

Greg Phillips
03-27-2003, 4:52 PM
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents regarding your jointer purchase. I want to comment on the 6" vs. 8" debate. In my opinion, there are two reasons to consider purchasing an 8" jointer--cutting width and table lenght. The latter is important because table length directly impacts the length of the stock that you can joint.

After shopping around and asking the same types of questions, I opted to buy the Powermatic 54A. I decided to get a great 6" jointer and use the difference in price to buy a Lie-Nielsen handplane. Now I have the best of both worlds. I have a great 6" jointer with tables that are almost as long as the best 8" models, and I am able to face-joint (flatten one face) boards of any width. I'm not limited to 8" like I would have been with a more expensive jointer.

Give this idea some serious thought. I know that the 54A is a bit out of your price range. No problem, buy one of the 6" jointers that you have been looking at, but go for the longest tables possible. Then buy that planer you were talking about and start saving for a really good jack plane.

Whatever you do, just have fun and be safe!

Greg

----------

God bless America!

Ed Falis
03-27-2003, 5:16 PM
Hey Greg,

What plane did you get, and how do you do the face jointing?

Thanks,

- Ed

Greg Phillips
03-28-2003, 6:59 PM
What plane did you get, and how do you do the face jointing?

I chose the Lie-Nielsen #5 jack plane for my first bench plane. I already had the LN low-angle block, but it is not meant for flattening stock. I will eventually get the LN #7 and #4, but I think the #5 is capable of doing what I need to do without help from the other planes.

Anything less than 6" wide is face-jointed on the power jointer. This is just the process of creating one face that is perfectly flat. Then the other face is machined parallel to the first using the power planer.

On boards wider than 6", I use the jack plane to flatten one face of the board. The sole of the plane is long enough (14") to yield a flat surface. It does not have to be perfectly smooth, just flat. Use that flat face as a reference and machine the other face parallel on the power planer, then flip the board over and use the power planer to smooth the hand-planed surface.

This procedure has worked very well for me and is not difficult. I really enjoy the hand-planing. While there is no danger of me moving over to the dark side, I do think that hand tools are very necessary in the shop. I know many woodworkers (and I was one of them until very recently) who have no idea how to tune or use planes. I am a believer now!

Cheers,

Greg

Ed Falis
03-28-2003, 9:36 PM
Thanks for the reply, Greg. I just got the Veritas #6 a week ago, so I'll be giving it a try that way.

- Ed