PDA

View Full Version : Building code question - handrails for deck

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Is anyone here familiar with the most recent edition of the building code? Apparently our community has adopted the latest edition, and it has had some implications for us and the deck we're putting on our vacation home (and by implications I mean it's been a pain in the a**). They made us get load calculations and a bunch of other "up front" paperwork which was a pain, but we're going for the final inspection and there's one more hiccup:

Apparently, a handrail on stairs needs to be able to support 200 lbs lateral force, and also cannot be more than 7" around (I assume to ensure that a person can get a full grip on it). Our builder used a section of the railing used on the main deck, as a hand rail for the stairs, but apparently that is not up to code because it's too big around. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 7" means that it cannot be much more than a 2"x1.5" rectangle or a 2" diameter rod (like a closet rod).

Has anyone had to deal with this sort of "requirement" on an outside deck? FWIW, the deck surface is only about 20" above grade, so there are only a couple steps....it's not like it's 20' off the ground.

Bob Lloyd
09-24-2009, 11:01 AM
John

You can look at the entire code online but this link will get you to the appropriate section, go to page 558. There are two types of handrail allowable, you did not say exactly what your contractor used but being larger than 6 1/4" does not on its own make it a violation. Incidentally, guard rails are not required for decks less than 30" above ground.

Bob

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/dps/780%20CMR/780053c.pdf

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the link. you are right about the 6 1/4" rule, but the existing rail does not have a "graspable finger recess area on both sides of the profile." so it can't be more than 6 1/4" around. OY. I'll just let my builder deal with it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-24-2009, 11:37 AM
You could get creative and incorporate the mandated handrail into the design of a more rigid and archetecutarrly appealing design.

Lee Schierer
09-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Section 1012 Defines the dimensions of a handrail, but for your deck since it is less than 30" the provisions of section 1013.1 apply. You don't need a hand rail and would be better off not having one. Look at exception number 3 in section 1009.10, which again says that you do not need a hand rail. If you can change the single step you have now to a larger landing then you would not need a hand rail either. (Based on IBC 2006)

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
We don't need a rail on the edge of the deck, but because there are 3 tread risers, we do need a handrail on the stairs.

Bob Lloyd
09-24-2009, 1:42 PM
John

Who said that if you had 3 risers then you need a guard rail? The code says that open sides of stairs with a total rise of more than 30 inches shall have guards, below that they are not required (unless your town has an ordnance on the books). It sounds like everything is built anyway so it seems as though you and your contractor have to sort it out. In fairness to him/her, people used 2x4 handrails for years and were rarely pulled on it.

Bob

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-24-2009, 2:05 PM
Who said that if you had 3 risers then you need a guard rail? The code says that open sides of stairs with a total rise of more than 30 inches shall have guards, below that they are not required (unless your town has an ordnance on the books). It sounds like everything is built anyway so it seems as though you and your contractor have to sort it out. In fairness to him/her, people used 2x4 handrails for years and were rarely pulled on it.

Bob

From the code:

5311.5.6 Handrails. Handrails shall be provided
on at least one side of each continuous run of
treads or flight with three or more risers.

Interestingly, the inspector suggested using a 2x4 - which does not meet code....

Bob Lloyd
09-24-2009, 3:28 PM
You are right, I was looking in 5312.1 which covers guardrails, which are not required. I find it interesting that the inspector suggested using a 2x4, what did he/she reject that was so bad?

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-25-2009, 9:20 AM
You are right, I was looking in 5312.1 which covers guardrails, which are not required. I find it interesting that the inspector suggested using a 2x4, what did he/she reject that was so bad?

well, he suggested a 2x4 but said it would have to be ripped down to a smaller size. whatever. He actually Ok'd what the builder put together, but suggested he "familiarize himself with the changes [in the code]". My gut feeling is that he's not quite sure how to enforce it - short of making people use close pole or black pipe.

I did find a railing system online that looks sturdy and aesthetically pleasing...so I might pick up that.