PDA

View Full Version : Craft Show Issues

Tim Bateson
09-24-2009, 7:54 AM
Grrrrrr http://70.169.135.35/images/icons/icon8.gif I just need to vent!
I’ve been trying for the past 2 years to get into one of the largest judged Craft Shows in our area (premium prices & tons of traffic/sales). In the past the judges wouldn’t accept laser crafts. NOW, I’m rejected because I’m not unique enough!
Among the very unique items (my designs) I offered was one that uses lasered art work that I have exclusive rights to sell . No one else in the US is currently authorized to use this artist’s work. That’s pretty unique. Instead they chose a not so unique lasered craft that you can find everywhere & personally I would never buy or sell.

Grrrrrr http://70.169.135.35/images/icons/icon8.gif
That’s all I’ve got to say about that!

Tom Bull
09-24-2009, 8:53 AM
Art, IMHO, is emotional, not logical. You'll always be frustrated if you try to apply logic to art decisions. Also, did they have a change of management at that show?

Bob Savage
09-24-2009, 9:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, is there a "community" (i.e. "good old boys club") aspect to these shows? If there is, well, you know where I'm going.

Tim Bateson
09-24-2009, 9:40 AM
As with most judged shows, you really only get judged once & if you are accepted, you are automatically renewed year after year. In other words I have ZERO chance at this show from here on. As this show is only 5 minutes from my house it would have been idea.

Now I have more time for my other hobby – computerized Halloween & Christmas light shows. This year - 32 channels, 10,000+ lights :eek: and FM transmitter. For Halloween I’m building a 5ft singing (animated) pumpkin with a chorus of small pumpkins and skulls. :D

Dan Hintz
09-24-2009, 9:56 AM
For Halloween I’m building a 5ft singing (animated) pumpkin with a chorus of small pumpkins and skulls. :D
Why am I suddenly imagining a Halloween Bohemian Rhapsody? :D

Pumpkin singing: "I am just a poor boy, nobody loves me."

Chorus of small pumpkins/skeletons singing: "He is just a poor boy, from a poor family! Spare him his life from this monstrosity!"

Bob Savage
09-24-2009, 10:36 AM
As with most judged shows, you really only get judged once & if you are accepted, you are automatically renewed year after year. In other words I have ZERO chance at this show from here on. As this show is only 5 minutes from my house it would have been idea.

Now I have more time for my other hobby – computerized Halloween & Christmas light shows. This year - 32 channels, 10,000+ lights :eek: and FM transmitter. For Halloween I’m building a 5ft singing (animated) pumpkin with a chorus of small pumpkins and skulls. :D

That's really a shame, and a real limitation to the quality of the show.

Now, on to the important stuff: We MUST see HD video of this newfangled Halloween contraption!

Martin Boekers
09-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Tim,

Lets see some of your work!

Marty

Thanks Dan I'll be humming that song all day now!

Dave Wagner
09-24-2009, 12:49 PM
The problem with "Craft" shows around here, most "crafters" are NOT crafters at all, they buy all the stuff from LTD or overseas, take the Made in "XXXXX" label off and call it a craft.

That is what I would like to see, is REAL crafts made by REAL people. (Sorry to rant).

Frank Corker
09-24-2009, 4:28 PM
The problem with "Craft" shows around here, most "crafters" are NOT crafters at all, they buy all the stuff from LTD or overseas, take the Made in "XXXXX" label off and call it a craft.
(Sorry to rant).

Thanks for the tip Dave!

Tim Bateson
09-24-2009, 5:26 PM

That is what I would like to see, is REAL crafts made by REAL people. (Sorry to rant).
This the reason we only consider juried shows. At a show I was doing last year, one of the vendors was asked to stop selling that sort-of stuff. They also lost their bid to return the following year.

Bill Cunningham
09-24-2009, 9:47 PM

I spent last weekend in Niagara Falls, (the city, not the big wet thing) and found a very unique item in a craft store that specializes in native crafts. A genuine aboriginal bamboo bow with arrows. But, I think the arrows were fake! :D

Jim Beachler
09-25-2009, 12:19 PM
I also do Art and Crafts shows around the Midwest. Jurying into to shows is not an easy task. Like mentioned above, some has to do with who is doing the judging. One show that I have done for 7 seven years (and you have to jury each year), decided my product was not accepted for this year.

Another show already has 2 people who do the same kind of work (puzzles) as I do and they do not want too many of one type in the show. another show that I did for only 1 year was great. when I tried to get back in they said that I wasn't busy enough in the opinion. (It was my busiest ever 2 day show).

Sorry that this is so long but I think the bottom line is that getting into and staying in shows is not only do they like you product but whether they like you. That's why I make a point of getting to know the people who run the shows I attend and want to attend.

Jim

Nancy Laird
09-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Since you are so near to the site of the show (5 minutes--is that driving or walking time?), do you have people headed to the show who park near your house? If so, set up your booth there and offer your wares. If people ask why, just tell them that you have an exclusive on this item, but you weren't accepted into the show, and you want to showcase your work any way you can. I've seen people do that around here.

Dan Hintz
09-25-2009, 1:06 PM
If your local business license does not allow foot traffic (and many don't for home-based businesses since those are zoned for residential traffic only), this could get you into some serious trouble... and being near a major craft fair means there is bound to be at least one city/county inspector walking around to look for offenses. Maybe you'd get away with it, maybe not.

You could, however, set up shop out of the back of your car and park right next to the fair on public property. Have a nice selection of goods, but don't sell anything... just hand out flyers to interested parties. If they ask why you're not in the actual show, then you can tell them...

Dennis McGarry
09-25-2009, 1:28 PM
If your local business license does not allow foot traffic (and many don't for home-based businesses since those are zoned for residential traffic only), this could get you into some serious trouble... and being near a major craft fair means there is bound to be at least one city/county inspector walking around to look for offenses. Maybe you'd get away with it, maybe not.

You could, however, set up shop out of the back of your car and park right next to the fair on public property. Have a nice selection of goods, but don't sell anything... just hand out flyers to interested parties. If they ask why you're not in the actual show, then you can tell them...

Dont do it as a business, sign up in yard as Hobbist Craft sale Today....

Jim Beachler
09-26-2009, 1:14 PM
If you do want to get into this show eventually, I would NOT set up sale outside the sale. Promoters do not like "scab" shows. they do keep track of who is in the scab show and will not let them in as you are taking sales away from their show.

Remember that getting into shows is about quality of work, how the work is done, product mix and politics.

Jim

PS. Doing Art and Craft shows is my full time business.

AL Ursich
09-26-2009, 8:12 PM
Did a winery show today.... Took a bunch of Wine Racks and clocks..... Total flop... sold one clock... The booth next to me sold 100 cases of wine... I am in the wrong business....

AL:eek:

David Fairfield
09-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Yeah there is this assumption among laypeople that lasering is neither an art nor a craft. They figure its like Star Trek and all we do is tell the computer what we want, and it pops out a little door.

I try not to use the L word, unless somebody expresses an actual interest in how I made something. Maybe its time to invent a crafty sounding descriptor for laser. Like Chrysler invented the name "Corinthian" for leather that they bought from a factory in New Jersey.

Next time you talk to the panel, tell them your stuff is "Corinthian Laserated" :rolleyes:

Dave

Dan Hintz
09-27-2009, 7:26 AM
Nah, tell them it's a vaporization of substrate through an intense-heat process by way of non-visible wavelength photons.

David Fairfield
09-27-2009, 8:59 AM
I like it Dan! Are those Corinthian photons?

Tom Bull
09-27-2009, 9:10 AM
I'll tease people and tell them I have a tiny chisel I use on the granite or a really small wood burning kit for the cherry pieces. Some people actually believe it for a moment (or more.)

David Fairfield
09-27-2009, 9:18 AM
"Rich Corinthian Photon Chiseled Granite" :rolleyes:

Jim Beachler
09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
You are not int he wrong business. You just didn't find YOUR customer. It took me a while to find who my customer is and what their tastes are. I have learned that just because I think it is great, doesn't mean that my customers will. So, when I design a new item I show prototypes to some of my more trusted customers and ask for their input. also as the shows, if I am not selling well, I ask people what would they like to see different to make it better to them. some of my best products have come this way.

Randy Walker
09-28-2009, 10:56 PM
I use a "cnc light saber to reveal the unseen beauty that lies below the surface". How's that...

Randy Walker
Jedi knothttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

Jim Beachler
09-29-2009, 5:24 PM
When people ask how I do it, I tell that it is engraved. If they ask about lasers, I say: Of course, lot's of people have them but an artist is the one who can use it creatively to make items of beauty.

Anyone can push a button but it takes a n artist or visionary to see what is hidden inside that piece of wood/clay/stone/paint or whatever is your medium.