PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Torch

Bob Davis
09-24-2009, 4:03 AM
I'd like to pick up an acrylic edge-polisher Hydrogen Torch such as has been so enthusiastically embraced by a group here on the forum. Unfortunately, distance and logistics appear to be against me joining the buyers group on this occasion, (I'm in Western Australia), so I'll probably just proceed by myself.
Before I start jumping through the hoops, I'm wondering what experiences previous buyers have had with the item. Is it straightforward to set up? Does it require special maintenance or chemicals? Does it need time to build up a Hydrogen supply before use? Is it noisy/dangerous/flimsy? How long can you use it before it needs a refill (and of what)? Does anything wear out, do plates need reconditioning? Is excess H vented direct to the atmosphere? Any special safety requirements (beside the obvious)?
Any information or advice will be appreciated.

Frank Corker
09-24-2009, 6:24 AM
Jeez Bob just about all of that has been discussed at some time or other on the topic. For finding one I would suggest you trawl the Australian Ebay website, you are likely to get a result from there for buying one. They go by slightly different names, Microflame Generator, hydrogen creator, but you will find if you try the search.

Distilled water. Electrolyte flake and some isopropanol alcohol. That's about it. A mix of the distilled water and flake is put into a solid container which is sealed tight (by hand) with a long threaded metal cap. A small amount of alcohol (approximately a shot glass full) goes into a small pressurised container at the front of the machine. Very little of everything is required and believe me, it lasts for a long time without having to be replaced.

On the pressurised container there is small rubberised tube that comes out and goes into a flame arrestor, this stops the flame from returning to the pressurised container where the hydrogen is stored. The other end of the tube runs down to the hydrogen torch, that's about 6 or 7 inches with a gas release and nozzle. The flame that comes out from the torch, dependent on the nozzles used is small. You can make it blow out about 3 to 4 inches in length which would be enough to melt everything you touch! When working the flame is about an inch long but it is very fierce.

It takes about 2 mins from a cold start to working pressure and if switched off for a while, the pressure remains for a few days without dissapating, when started up when it is partly pressurised it is about 30 seconds before ready for use.

Is it noisy? No it's not, a little noisier than a computer.
Is it flimsy? No, quite the opposite, the connectors are tight fitting and the machine build is very robust.
How long can you use it before a refill? I still have the same electrolyte flake and distilled water I got when I bought it and that's now quite a few months (the mixture by the way is extremely corrosive when out of the container and should be handled with care). I have changed the alcohol in the pressurised container three times.
Does anything wear out? As far as I'm aware, nothing wears out, no plates to replace. I do check the tubes to make sure that nothing has perished though.
Does excess hyrogen vent into the atmosphere? There is no 'excessive' amounts of hydrogen produced, but what remains in the pot and the tube can be burned off very easily.
Is it dangerous? Why do you think that we wouldn't allow Steve Clarkson to have one! It's only dangerous if you are careless. The flame is often minute but burns incredibly hot. You can handle a piece of acrylic and be using the torch within two inches without burning yourself, but like everything, it takes practice.

Here is one in use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCUdmbe7Yg&feature=related

Steve Clarkson
09-24-2009, 6:49 AM
Dee promised that she would write me a note giving me permission to participate in the second group buy........

Bob Savage
09-24-2009, 9:27 AM
LOL! You guys are too funny.

Bob Davis
09-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Thank you for your opinions, Frank. It's good of you to condense all of that information into a single resource, and I'm sure many will find it useful. Not everybody has the time to trawl through every post to find the occasional nugget.

Bill Cunningham
09-24-2009, 9:33 PM
Yup Bobs right.. Thanks Frank, nice description.. I was curious about those things myself.. Don't need one right now, but who knows what the future will bring.. The old hydrogen torches from my past, needed O2 and Compressed air as well, and when they SNAPPED out underwater, they could make your ears ring..ha..