PDA

View Full Version : Depron.......anybody ? Bueller ? Bueller ??

Anthony Scira
09-24-2009, 2:39 AM
Looking at cutting some Depron foam. Was looking for an MSDS on it and came up dry.

Anybody know if it is laser safe ?

Dan Hintz
09-24-2009, 6:46 AM
Depron is XPS (Extruded Polystyrene), the same stuff available in home fix-it stores... you're safe.

Jim Sage
09-24-2009, 11:08 AM
I cut it all the time for model airplanes. Cut it fast and with low power/low freq to reduce shrinking the foam.

Anthony Scira
09-25-2009, 2:04 AM
Yep that what this is for. An F-22 to be exact.

And man that stuff cuts REALLY nice ! Very happy with the results. And the high speed and low power is the secret. I started at 100 Speed and 60 power and it was leaving what looks like to have been a 1/8" kerf.

After settling on 100 Speed and 20 power it cuts the Depron with a small kerf with no melting.

Now I just need to find a good supplier !

Pics Soon !

william kaminsky
09-26-2009, 4:09 PM
Yep that what this is for.

Now I just need to find a good supplier !

Pics Soon !

According to some industry spokesperson located in vicinity of Glendora, is currently illegal to import any Depron as full sized sheets now. Had been used for underlayment, and repair of existing is OK, but not in using full sized shets. Only partial ones.

'course each firm you contact whatever they say will be as a given to be a Full Sized sheet per their specifications.

Do a search on Depron over the internet, and will find descrepancies as to description in a number of ways within USA or NA.

Wm.

Anthony Scira
09-26-2009, 7:44 PM
Why would it be illegal ? Environmental issues ?

william kaminsky
09-27-2009, 1:11 PM
Why would it be illegal ? Environmental issues ?

I do not know how true, but was told via the noted industry telephone number that Depron when hot (like during a building fire) will emit noxious fumes, that can take out a person, unless they are wearing breathing apparatus. Thus you can get issued a permit to FIX what is there, but not install new and whole. Is supposed to be something even better now being used.

Wm.