PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 78 question

tom deryke
09-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Gentlemen,
When I was a lad; young, dumb and full...well, you know the rest, I was using one of my fathers 78's rather carelessly, and I dropped it on the garage floor, breaking the body in half across the weakest part. Being an irresponsible jerk, I quickly disposed of the broken tool and never told anyone, hoping to replace it before it was missed. (I suspect he deduced what happened, but never confronted me about it, probably hoping I'd eventually come clean...)
This was, I swear, one of a pair that were mirror opposites, but I've never been able to find a left-handed 78 despite a search spanning the last 40 years. Of course, my father is long gone, but this has been a thorn in my side ever since (and still is...) For those of you more learned than I, did Stanley actually make right and left hand 78's or has my imagination just been torturing me all these years? If so, why are there virtually no left handed ones available? I still have the right hand version, as well as the rest of my fathers tools, and if possible, I would like to finally do the right thing.

Mike Henderson
09-23-2009, 11:28 PM
I never heard of a left hand 78. If they existed, I'm sure Patrick Leach will say something on his web site (http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm).

And welcome to the creek. I see the above is your first post.

Mike