PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get back into turning thoughts on this used lathe.

Dennis McGarry
09-23-2009, 10:54 PM
chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/1384154155.html

I am dieing to get back into making pens, since I had to sell everything, *man I hated to get rid of the wood. Small house fire to boot. I dont have much to spend on a lathe.

I am looking at this one, the guy said we can make a good deal so was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it?

using it for pens and maybe pendents as well. all small stuff.

thanks in advance for the help again guys..

Ron McKinley
09-23-2009, 11:56 PM
That looks like the infamous Craftsman 12" monotube lathe. Run, don't walk, away from it! Getting the tailstock to line up with the headstock is almost impossible and the #1 Morse taper is outmoded as is the 3/4" x 16" headstock threads. Look for a good used Jet or Delta mini-lathe and stay away from #1 Morse tapers and 3/4" x 16 tpi threads.........Ron

Steve Schlumpf
09-23-2009, 11:59 PM
I have to agree with Ron - save your money and look for something that will accept today's chucks and accessories.

Paul Engle
09-24-2009, 3:18 PM
Me too, that kinda of frustration puts the kinks in a straight line.... makes me wanna chew a chain and my pace maker jump ....:eek:

Dennis McGarry
09-24-2009, 3:39 PM
I passed on that one, price was right but piece was wrong....

Will just have to keep checking around and something will come along..

Gordon Seto
09-24-2009, 4:05 PM
Getting the tailstock to line up with the headstock is almost impossible

That is fatal in pen turning with a mandrel. The brass tubing would be off set; the twist pen would look bad at the joints.