PDA

View Full Version : Is there an easy Id for stanley 42x?

jim hedgpeth
09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
I did notice the 42X (can see the stamp on these) seams to have only one rivet/screw holding the side/handle together. There are some that look the same in pics,(says 42X, can't see stamp) but have 3 smaller rivets in the side. Is this a variation in production year or model? Could this be an easy way to tell the impostors from real deal?

Thanks for any help,

Jim

Jim Koepke
09-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I will try to take a picture of mine later and give some pointers. There are a lot of variations on the #42 saw set and only one of them is the 42x.

Mine came with a box and the box is marked 42. I think this is the case with the other variations. As I recall, there was also an s and a w as well as a plain #42.

On eBay, if there is time left, I would ask the seller for a picture of the plunger against the anvil when the handles are squeezed and a picture of the under side.

I think the 42x only has one rivet, but do not remember for certain.

jim

Jim Koepke
09-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Looking at the selection on eBay has helped my memory. All the ones listed are missing one part. It is a little piece of pressed metal that is supposed to make it possible to set teeth on a circular saw. No great loss. I saw one go one time because the seller was convinced he should sell it to the guy who told him about the missing part.

One of them on eBay is clearly marked 42x another looks to be but is not at real clear angle. I think it is a 42x.

Note the size of the front knob. Notice some of them have a slider bar to hold the saw plate. These are the ones with more than one rivet and are not the 42x. Some have the adjustment wheel under the barrel. The 42x has the anvil that moves up and down via the vertical screw at the nose of the tool.

Hope this helps,

jim

Phillip Pattee
09-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Check here at the saw set collectors resource. I believe that the ones with 3 rivets in the plier handle are the straight 42. The 42X is, as you say configured, with a single rivet. My 42X has "No. 42X stamped on the underside of the barrel just in front of the movable plier handle.

http://members.acmenet.net/~con12a/saw%20set%20website/plier1.htm