PDA

View Full Version : Official SS gloat & 1st results(pics)

John Miliunas
09-17-2004, 10:37 PM
I got the Dewalt setup and running! :D Granted, I have nothing to really compare it to, because I've never really done any scroll work, but I had heard the thing is really smooth. My limited experience, thus far, indicates that the thing is really smooth! :D Well built and solid. I did have a bit of an issue with the stand, not being real steady. The instructions tell you to bolt it to the floor, but I didn't want to go poking more holes in the concrete. I found that if the back of the stand is somehow steadied, it works fine. So, I just rammed a couple 4" blocks into a plywood backer on the wall immediately behind the SS and made sure they rest right up against either side of the stand. Result: Steady as she goes! :)

While it's going to take a LOT of practice, I have already found myself with positive results on my first mini-project. Just a simple hanging ornament. Like I said, I still need a bunch of time on the machine and I'm hoping I may be able to take a short class or something on it. Sure is nice to be able to fire up a WW machine and get positive results without having to be standing! :) A few more mini projects to get the feel of it and I'll try to talk my daughter into giving it a go! I think she'd enjoy it! Thanks for looking and allowing me to share! :cool:

Joe Mioux
09-17-2004, 10:40 PM
hey John, that looks pretty good!:) That scroll sawing looks addicting! Congrats on the new scroll saw and I hope to see more of your work soon.

joe

Tyler Howell
09-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Very cool Dude, Another adventure.;)

Jim Becker
09-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Very kewel...you're a natural!!

Jerry Olexa
09-17-2004, 10:55 PM
John. Great work for a "beginner". You're not a beginner to woodworking ,only to this phase of it and already you're producing great results. Sorry to hear about your temporary setback where sitting is better . Enjoy this new direction and soon you'll be back using that new (hard earned) Forrest blade. Take care,

Dick Parr
09-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Great start John, you will get the hang of it sooner then you think. ;)

Ian MacDonald
09-18-2004, 1:38 AM
That looks great John! Keep it up. Now you'll find lots of uses for all the wood scraps you have lying around.

Once my wife and son saw my scroll saw in action they couldn't wait to try it.

Cheers,

-- Ian

Josh Bendel
09-18-2004, 2:43 AM
John, Great beginning.:D Keep us posted on your progress.

Brian Hale
09-18-2004, 5:09 AM
Looks Great John!

Brian

Bob Marino
09-18-2004, 7:08 AM
Nice John. I would guess the ss would open up another aspect of woodworking.

Bob

Gary Max
09-18-2004, 7:24 AM
And he is off and running----Looks great John.

Michael Stafford
09-18-2004, 8:55 AM
John, nice work. A friend of mine who is a scrollsawyer also prefers to sit to do his work. One thing he has done to save his back as he has a tendency to lean forward so that he looks more directly down on the work is to elevate the back of the machine. He says this allows him to have a better line of sight without bending over as much. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to pics of your first intarsia project.

Lou Morrissette
09-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Nice work, John. You got the hang of that thing real quick.:D

Jim Ketron
09-18-2004, 1:20 PM
Great work John !!
haven't used my scrollsaw in a while but there fun!
I also built my makeshift stand where I can sit and work .
Jim

Ian MacDonald
09-18-2004, 1:21 PM
John, nice work. A friend of mine who is a scrollsawyer also prefers to sit to do his work. One thing he has done to save his back as he has a tendency to lean forward so that he looks more directly down on the work is to elevate the back of the machine. He says this allows him to have a better line of sight without bending over as much. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to pics of your first intarsia project.

I'll second the sitting while scroll sawing, so set up your environment to allow it. You can literally spend hours at a time sitting at the saw.

Michael, thanks for the idea of elevating the back of the saw. I hadn't thought of that before, but it does sound like it would make for a more comfortable posture.

Cheers,

-- Ian

Tom Hintz
09-18-2004, 1:22 PM
John,
Nice machine and very nice work.
A word of caution though, a couple I know bought a SS and have slipped totally into the intarsia scene. They do beautiful work and now make a fair bit of money doing it.
I gotta have one of those.....

nic obie
09-18-2004, 2:22 PM
John,

Nice machine! I wish I had a decent one. A few years ago my wife 'surprised' me with a Ryobi SS. Even though she paid over $150 for it, I think it is a piece of junk. It vibrates to beat the band and blade changes are a chore.

I don't have either the heart or nerve to get rid of it and buy a better one so I guess I'm stuck with the darn thing :o

Rich Konopka
09-18-2004, 2:29 PM
Nice Saw John. How does the puffer work on yours? I think mine was a smoker and his lungs are a little weak. :o

You have to make the Mrs. some ornaments for Xmas.

John Miliunas
09-18-2004, 3:05 PM
Hey guys, greatly appreciate all the kinds comments and words of encouragement! Not to mention the great tips! :)

Rich, the puffer is really nothing to write home about on mine, either! I'm going to try it from a couple different directions to see if it does better. If not, might just go ahead and hook up an air pump from an aquarium. Nic, that's kind of a bummer. BUT, the LOML did kinda' the same thing with me a couple years ago, albeit with a BS. A small (9", I think) from Sears of all places. :( When I upgraded to the Laguna, I kept the C-man for just little, light-duty stuff. She understood. In your case, I'll bet the Ryobi would be just fine to outfit the thing with some of the sander blades and keep it for doing cleanup on pieces coming off the bigger SS! :) Tom, I intend to give Intarsia a try, but that's down the road a piece, me thinks. Just taking baby steps for the time being. Ian and Mike, I think I may give that idea of kicking the back end up a try! The Dewalt stand is even designed for a person to be able and do that! :) And, to the rest of the gang, muchos gracias for the positive feedback! I hope to not disappoint you and have some nicer work to show for it in the future! :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
09-18-2004, 3:54 PM
Go.....John!.......Looks good!

Dave Brandt
09-18-2004, 7:23 PM
Good start John! I have that saw and it's a real pleasure to use, especially after battling with an import that tended to walk off my bench if not bolted down! If your stand is the DeWalt, it is adjustable. I have mine "jacked up" two holes in the back. Also, get the Easy Lift (from Jim Dandy Products, Inc.). It holds up the whole blade assembly when you're inserting the blade into the tiny holes for interior cuts. You may also find that releasing the bottom of the blade is faster (once you get used to it - it's a "blind" operation and just takes a little practice).

John Miliunas
09-18-2004, 9:29 PM
Good start John! I have that saw and it's a real pleasure to use, especially after battling with an import that tended to walk off my bench if not bolted down! If your stand is the DeWalt, it is adjustable. I have mine "jacked up" two holes in the back. Also, get the Easy Lift (from Jim Dandy Products, Inc.). It holds up the whole blade assembly when you're inserting the blade into the tiny holes for interior cuts. You may also find that releasing the bottom of the blade is faster (once you get used to it - it's a "blind" operation and just takes a little practice).

Thanks Ken!

Dave, I did get the Easy Lift right from the start! Seeing as to how that's really the only option available, I figured, "Why not?!" Yeah, I really like it. Now, about releasing the bottom of the blade: Keeeeeeripes man, I've got a hard enough time putting the blade in that one first, much less trying to line it up "blind"! (did I mention I'm half-blind anyway?!) :eek: Actually, Randy, the manager at Woodcraft and one heckuva' scroller himself, suggested the same thing. He refers to doing it the other way as "bottom feeder"! OK, so I'm a bottom feeder! What's new?! I can see where it might be faster the other way and, once I'm more familiar with the whole system, I may go ahead and try it out. Thanks for the tip(s)! :cool:

Michael Ballent
09-18-2004, 10:09 PM
We have the same model and also got the back of the unit jacked up so that we do not have to lean over the saw too much. What blades are you using, If you have a chance go out in the internet and search for Flying Dutchman blades for the SS. Great blades and last a long time... :D I think that you can even get a few for free just for asking the owner so you can test drive them, before committing to buying a gross ;) Try to see if there are any SS clubs in your area. My wife is the secretary for the local chapter of SAW (Srollsaw Association of the World).

John Miliunas
09-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Michael, I'm strictly in the "experimentation" stage with blades right now. Thus far, I kinda' think I like the spiral blades for easier material handling, but I can see some disadvantages with them, as well. I only had some Olson's, though I did score some Flying Dutchmen today! :D Turns out, I've got two major-league supply houses dang-near in my own backyard! First, there's Ocooch Hardwoods, where I've purchased some pretty nice raw wood before. The guy's wife is a scroller and they also sell thin stock, blades and such. Then, there's the retail store of Wildwood Designs, just a couple miles from Ocooch! Wow! If you've ever seen their catalog, you HAVE to see the store! I swear that they probably have 90% of everything in their catalog right there, live and in person! :D What a sight to see! :cool:

David Klug
09-18-2004, 11:23 PM
Heyyy John, not too shaby for the first go around. I wish all my first go arounds would come out looking that good.

DK

Ian MacDonald
09-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Thus far, I kinda' think I like the spiral blades for easier material handling, but I can see some disadvantages with them, as well.

Spiral blades are nice when you're cutting stock that is too long to swing under the scroll arm, but you'll find you get a much cleaner cut using regular blades. In most cases the cuts will be so good you'll never need to sand.

Cheers,
-- Ian

Carole Valentine
09-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Very nice John! A circle is a rough first project if you've never scrolled before, but it looks like you did very well. Tip: on the outside circle, cut to the outside of your pattern line, then use your disk sander to smooth it right to the line.

John Miliunas
09-19-2004, 12:00 AM
And the tips just keep comin'! :) Thanks folks! BTW, while at both stores this morning, both proprieters said that they have customers who *swear* by the spiral blades and use nothing else!? I guess maybe it's what you get used to. In my case, I just don't know any better...Yet! :cool:

Carole Valentine
09-19-2004, 12:46 AM
BTW, while at both stores this morning, both proprieters said that they have customers who *swear* by the spiral blades and use nothing else!? I guess maybe it's what you get used to. In my case, I just don't know any better...Yet! :cool:
I hate those things. Only use them when a piece is too large to handle otherwise. They make too large a kerf and a rough one at that. Each to his or her own, I guess!:)

Michael Ballent
09-19-2004, 2:56 AM
The spiral blades are hard to guide since they cut all directions, and as Ian indicated the cut from a regular blade are smooth as glass. Consider yourself luck that Wildwood designs are nearby. We get the catalog and I love going through it, but it is intimidating to see all the heavy fret patterns they have. Be careful though there a lot of people that just scroll, much like the turners that never do flat work again ;)