PDA

View Full Version : great gloat with pics

curtis rosche
09-23-2009, 7:36 PM
well, here is the tree i was talking about on monday. the first picture is me with the lady whose tree it is. i needed that picture to go in my senior project. this is a huge maple tree. huge burls the whole way around. and the best part....its free, though she did ask me to make a thing or to for her from it, but that is no problem.

there is a picture of the ivy growning on it. it is turnable size. there is also a picture that i took while standing on it, it makes my shoes look small and they are size 13.

Richard Madison
09-23-2009, 7:45 PM
Curtis, That is definitely a great gloat! Should be a lot of beautiful wood under that gnarly exterior. Must try to do your very best work for that nice lady.

curtis rosche
09-23-2009, 7:52 PM
the tree thankfully is hollow, so it wont be such a PITA to cut up. dont work though, there is still more than enough wood to work with

alex carey
09-23-2009, 9:37 PM
wow nice gloat, that is a monster tree. nice looking burls to.

what chainsaw do you have for this monster?

Gary Conklin
09-23-2009, 9:46 PM
http://help.translab.ch/images/maenchen/score_10.gif

Clara Koss
09-23-2009, 9:54 PM
only a manly man can deal with that monster tree... you're gonna have a lot of fun....:p

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Curtis now that is a gloat.

Steve Schlumpf
09-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Curtis - congrats on all that wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn for the generous owner!

Cody Colston
09-24-2009, 1:08 AM
Great Score!

BTW, the low score is from the Russian judge. :D

Dan Forman
09-24-2009, 2:02 AM
That's a monster tree! Ought to keep you out of trouble for a while. Have fun with it.

Dan

Jack Mincey
09-24-2009, 6:35 AM
Curtis,
Looks like you hit the jackpot with this tree. I must warn you that it looks to have some vortex fungus growing on it. If you turn any of it you will be sucked even deeper into the vortex. Be careful cutting that beast up and have fun turning that fungus. It is also good to put a face with all those post I've read over the last year or two.
Happy Turning,
Jack

curtis rosche
09-24-2009, 6:41 AM
i thought about posting a picture of me before, but then i realized im always the one holding the camera.

this will be interesting to work. the tree is hollow the whole way through, which will make it easier to cut, and from what it looked like, the burls are all still very solid, though a couple are spaulted. im gonna have to make room in the basement for this one.

any one ever turn ivy?

Sean Hughto
09-24-2009, 7:53 AM
I can't see the leaves and such, so I can't tell, but around here (Maryland), most ivy growing up a tree like that is poison ivy, and will give those at all allergic to the stuff bad rashes. Just thought I'd mention it in case.

Great gloat.

curtis rosche
09-24-2009, 11:05 AM
this is not poison ivy. this is the ivy that you would put in a wreath. i will take more pictures of it when i cut it up next weekend.

Rob Cunningham
09-24-2009, 5:48 PM
That's very gloat worthy Curtis. Looks like you'll be busy for a while.

Walt Caza
09-24-2009, 8:03 PM
Congrats Curtis!
I'd be interested to learn which type of maple you scored?

Cut her up safely and I can't wait to see what you create...
This isn't India, but I feel a need to hollar:
Holy Cow!!

have fun,
Walt

ps thanks for sharing the pics

Jarrod McGehee
09-25-2009, 12:06 AM
hell yeah man!!!! better get to cuttin

Darius Ferlas
09-25-2009, 12:11 AM
hell yeah man!!!! better get to cuttin
I dunno. Some of those look ready for the first coat of finish ;)

Great gloat.
Congratulations!