PDA

View Full Version : All finished with the outfeed table

Chuck Isaacson
09-23-2009, 7:25 PM
Well, if you don't remember, I built an outfeed table. I posted some pics of the unfinished product. You can see that here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119783). I spent the last couple of days finishing it. I milled down some more lumber to use as trim for it. It worked out pretty nice. Just took a a really long time. I have been finishing it since Sunday. I treated the table with a coat of Tung Oil. It is kindof my defalt finish for shop furniture. I kinda want everything to match so I cant switch now. The top if 3/4" MDF that I finished with two coats of thinned clear satin poly. I then put two coats of unthinned poly on it. Boy, that MDF really sucks up the finish. Here is the finished product. I also went to the BORG and picked up a power strip and mounted it across the front. I am really going to enjoy that. I HATE EXTENSION CORDS!!!!!

CHuck

128492 128493 128494 128495

Fred Belknap
09-23-2009, 7:46 PM
Nice job CHuck. I have never used mdf as it has only recently been available around here. I'm going to get some and try it out. You might think about putting a coat of wax on the top so that glue and stuff won't stick to it.
Fred

Stan Mitchell
09-23-2009, 7:59 PM
Nice job - really sharp looking.

Wish I had room for such a thing.

Chuck Isaacson
09-23-2009, 8:30 PM
You might think about putting a coat of wax on the top so that glue and stuff won't stick to it.
Fred

What kind of wax might a person use for something like this?

CHuc

brett gallmeyer
09-23-2009, 8:38 PM
What kind of wax might a person use for something like this?

CHuc

paste wax. available at your local borg in the wood finishes section.

Mike Langford
09-23-2009, 8:58 PM
WOW! Great looking outfeed table....You did a nice job on that one.

Can I make a suggestion? - Put your power strip on the end (either side)....that way you can leave the tools plugged in and lay them on the lower shelf....and the cords won't be in your way when you roll up to the table opening to work! (most tool cords are long enough to reach across the bench when you need to use them)

I mounted my power strip under my bench (since I don't sit at that end) and I leave a couple of corded drills plugged in there 'cause that's where I've (recently) mounted my Kreg jig.....

128511 128512 128513

Chuck Isaacson
09-23-2009, 9:16 PM
WOW! Great looking outfeed table....You did a nice job on that one.

Can I make a suggestion? - Put your power strip on the end (either side)....that way you can leave the tools plugged in and lay them on the lower shelf....and the cords won't be in your way when you roll up to the table opening to work! (most tool cords are long enough to reach across the bench when you need to use them)

Thanks, that is a good idea. I didn't think of that. I will give it a shot how it is now and if it pisses me off, then I will move it.

CHuck

Mike Langford
09-23-2009, 9:28 PM
If/When ;) you do move the power strip I would suggest the end down by the dust hose (I know I said either end earlier! :p)....that way if you're doing some work on that end and have a tool or two still sitting on the table top, it won't interfere with the use of the saw....

Jason Hanko
09-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Looks great, Chuck! Ill still have to stop by and see it in person one of these weeks.
Are you going to extend the miter slots out into the table?

Chuck Isaacson
09-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Looks great, Chuck! Ill still have to stop by and see it in person one of these weeks.
Are you going to extend the miter slots out into the table?

I a not sure if I am going to have to do that. I havent really tried yet, but I think that I will be able to get the cut done without doing it. I will if I have to though.

Chuck

Gary McKown
09-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Problem with no miter slot extensions is if you use a crosscut sled or some such, where the front end gets pushed way beyond the blade.

Tip when using crosscut sled - put a coarse-thread removeable screw (I used a KD fastener) in the table that the sled hits when at full extension. This eliminates the possibility that the blade could exit the rear of the sled fence. Sled fence has a hole to keep the screw in, when not in use.

One other suggestion...I used melamine-coated particleboard instead of MDF for the top. Ultra-slick when waxed, and no glue I have yet used sticks to it.

Jason Strauss
09-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Chuck,

That's not an outfeed table, it's an aircraft carrier! I swear you could land and park a couple of F-4 Phantoms on that thing.

As always, your work is inspiring. I've been contemplating doing some rearranging in my shop and building an outfeed table. Your design looks very nice and will likely be copied!:D

What type of jointery did you use? Pocket screws?

Al Willits
09-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Nice table, very nice...makes me want to redo mine...:)

fwiw I use Johnson's and Johnson's paste wax, comes in a yellow can and is about $9, goes on easy and after it dries a quick buffing makes a nice slippery surface, glue will not stick to it also.

I use it on my torsion table also and all the cast iron on my power equipt too.

Al

Mike Cruz
09-24-2009, 1:56 PM
Great table. Wish I had room for one. Oh, and NO suggestions about how to improve on it from me. :D

Sam Layton
09-24-2009, 8:14 PM
Your outfeed table turned out great Chuck. You are doing a outstanding job on your shop.

Good job, Sam