PDA

View Full Version : Jet mini lathe tail stock maintenance

Alan Tolchinsky
09-23-2009, 4:59 PM
Hi All,

I looked at my tail stock spindle and noticed it was dry and slightly caked with something black. Also the live center won't self eject like it's supposed to when you crank the wheel counterclockwise. I looked at my manual and it makes no mention of lube for this or cleaning the spindle. Anybody have any cleaning/lubing tips?

Richard Madison
09-23-2009, 8:15 PM
Couple times a year I screw the tailstock quill all the way out, spray a little WD-40 on it, and screw it all the way back in. May or may not be helpful. Just seems like a good idea. If the live center won't eject, might have some dirt or damage on the MT, either the center or the quill.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks Richard. I cleaned up with WD40 and mineral spirits. Then I used some grease on the spindle. It works very smoothly now but the center still won't pop out when I crank the spindle all the way back. Still working on that.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Alan,

On my Jet Mini...the quill lock handle on the tailstock had to be partially "in" or it wouldn't eject. In other words, adjust the lock on the tailstock quill until the quill is locked and then unlock it just enough that the quill will back out and the live center should eject.

paul wiser
09-23-2009, 11:32 PM
i usually use a vinyl tapered reamer sized to a #2 mt to clean out the taper. seems to work better after i do this

Ron McKinley
09-23-2009, 11:45 PM
with a live tailstock. However, the Jacobs chuck ejects fine. I've cleaned it and lubed it several times but the live tailstock that came with the lathe just won't eject without the knock-out bar........Ron