PDA

View Full Version : Garage door opener problem-longish

Tony Sade
09-17-2004, 9:07 PM
I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair. Both of my openers (about 10 years old) stopped working within a couple of months of each other. I wasn't all that concerned since one side of the garage contains my little shop, and the other is where my wife INSISTS on parking her car. (Just can't convince her that exposure to the elements builds character, in people and machinery.) Unwilling to lift the door all on her own, she has been content to leave the car outside while the "garage door thingie" was broken. That's been ok with me.

Now that summer is over, I've been told to get things working again so that the poor dear doesn't have to face a cold car seat in the morning. I ordered new bell wire sets from Sears, figuring the likely culprit was the connections to tbe "electic eye" safety switches on the bottoms of the doors. (Proved right when one of the connectors literally fell off the wire when I touched it.)

Strung and connected the wire on her highness' side and bingo-works like a charm. Did the same on my side and that *&$#&*@ thing won't work right no matter what I do. I have quadruple-checked all the connections and they are right. Got power (steady green lights) to both "eyes" and the wall switch and the mobile switch when it's pressed. Battery in the mobile switch is good. Most of the time, push either of the switches and nada, even though all the lights continue to glow. Occasionally, push either of the switches and the door starts to move and then stops after about a foot. For some time thereafter, door won't budge, even though all the lights continue to work, indicating, I assume, that everything's still getting power. Is it time to give up and either live with lifting my door by hand, (no big deal since I don't use it all that much) or buy a new unit?

Any ideas? I hate being whipped by a machine!!

TIA, Tony

Jim Ketron
09-17-2004, 9:58 PM
I had a problem like you discribed with my craftsman door opener I found the problem with the circuit board one of the wires had broke loose from the solder! I use a soldering iron added some 50/50 to it and has worked good since!:D
Jim

John Miliunas
09-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Tony, this is most probably a really, REALLY dumb suggestion, but here goes: Are your doors the type where it has the big coil springs right above the door? If so, have you checked to be sure that one of the springs isn't broke? :confused: I had something similar to what you describe happen to me last Spring and after "troubleshooting" the opener, I finally noticed that part of the coil spring was no longer attached to the rest of the coil, thus not giving the opener any assist. :cool:

Bruce Page
09-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Tony, leave the car outside - buy the wife a seat warmer. Keep both doors closed and expand the shop. Problem solved.

Tony Sade
09-19-2004, 7:31 AM
Jim-I'll give the circuit board a try. That might explain the intermittent performance.

John-Nope, different kind of door. Springs on the side along the tracks.

Bruce-Big help you are! ;) My wife has informed me that I have a better chance of living in the driveway than her car does. Must be a different power dynamic at your house.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got about another hour to put into troubleshooting and then I'm gonna give up. I just don't need the automatic feature that much.

Cheers,

John Miliunas
09-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Bruce-Big help you are! ;) My wife has informed me that I have a better chance of living in the driveway than her car does. Must be a different power dynamic at your house.

.....I'll bet it's NOT a different power dynamic. She just doesn't get out to SMC to see what he's saying! :D (Whew...Good think LOML isn't too computer saavy! :rolleyes: ) :cool:

Cecil Arnold
09-19-2004, 2:37 PM
I haad a Sears unit that went flakey, it turned out to be the plastic gears had turned to dust. I replaced it rather than spend the time to rebuild it. You might want to check that if it is Sears.

Jim Ketron
09-19-2004, 2:56 PM
Also my on door the wires got broke to the eyes( a diff time than the first I described ) the door will open but it would not close. if that is the problem you have you can hold the button on the close the door in the garage not the remote ones and it will bypass it. the lights will flash but it will still go down. if it works then there is something wrong with eye or the wires.

Jim

Bruce Page
09-19-2004, 7:52 PM
.....I'll bet it's NOT a different power dynamic. She just doesn't get out to SMC to see what he's saying! :D (Whew...Good think LOML isn't too computer saavy! :rolleyes: ) :cool:
Yeah, when the hats came in she wondered what a Sawmill Creek was..... I figure it's a need to know thing. :rolleyes: