PDA

View Full Version : Corel question

Gerry Lempicki
09-23-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm interested in buying a new version of Corel so I can start learning the software. I am confused by the cheap eBay pricing; evidently these are called 'case only' versions and are legit (so I've heard). I've also heard that they dont allow VBS; should this be a concern if the intent is to use it for laser engraving later?
Help a newb understand please! :-)
:confused:

Cary Fleming
09-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Sounds like the Student/Teacher version. You may have trouble getting updates from Corel. Also, without VBA support you might not be able to run third-party add-ons that can make life simpler.

Dan Hintz
09-23-2009, 12:20 PM
See here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1037433

Randy Digby
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
I just went through the same decision making process and decided to purchase from Corel. When I received the software, there were three manuals in the package, that I doubt come with the $90.00 eBay specials. There is one entire book of fonts and clip art, which makes it much easier to find a particluar clip art file rather than opening thousands of files. The maual is good also. I had already purchased "CorelDRAW X4 The Officiak Guide" by Bouton but I find some answers are found quicker in the factory manual.

As they say on the game show, "I think I made a good deal."

James Leonard
09-23-2009, 1:17 PM
I'm interested in buying a new version of Corel so I can start learning the software. I am confused by the cheap eBay pricing; evidently these are called 'case only' versions and are legit (so I've heard). I've also heard that they dont allow VBS; should this be a concern if the intent is to use it for laser engraving later?
Help a newb understand please! :-)
:confused:

The 'OEM' copies you will find on eBay don't have VBA. Every Academic version from V12 to X4 does. The 'Essentials' versions don't have VBA or an exposed Object Model. The OEM versions (I have tested X3) do have an exposed Object Model so Corel addons that don't use VBA will work just fine. BTW, sales of OEM software without hardware are not legal. If you are not using CorelDRAW for commercial purposes, then you can get an Academic copy straight from Corel usually, and if needed you can take a $20 CorelDRAW class at LVS online and order a copy through their training partner link.

-James

Gerry Lempicki
09-23-2009, 7:41 PM
Thanks for the info and link everyone. I'll call vendors tomorrow to be sure I buy a version that's full commercial with documentation included.
:)
Gerry