PDA

View Full Version : Calculating door sizes for blum concealed hinges

John Orr
09-23-2009, 8:34 AM
I want to build some cabinets with 2 doors using blum hinges, is there a rule of thumb to calculate the the door sizes for 1. full overlay and 2. 1/2 overlay hinges. Thanks in advance for any help................John

Howard Miller
09-23-2009, 9:06 AM
1" larger than the opening. This will give you 1/2" overlay for top, bottom and sides.

Quinn McCarthy
09-23-2009, 9:13 AM
John,

You need to look online to see what hinge mounting plate comination works for what you want to do. I build my doors with a 1/2" overlay. Which is about 12-13 mm. Then you pick a hinge mounting plate combination to meet your needs. I usually use a 120 degree swing hinge for normal doors. So then you need to pick a mounting plate that gives you 120 degree swing and 1/2" overlap. Then you need to look at the setback chart. This will tell you how far you need to drill the hinge hole from the edge of the door. Make sure your door profile will work with the blum hinges. Mkake sure you don't get press in type hinges if you don't have a blum machine. I usually get screw on self closing. WHen you look at the web site you will see all sorts of overlay distance choices.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

David DeCristoforo
09-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Look at the spec sheets on the Blum web site. They are very complete and fully illustrated. Then "test mount" the hinges using "scrap" pieces" to be sure your sizing, base plate mounting and cup hole drilling are set up correctly. Then (and only then) you can drill all your doors.

Steve Jenkins
09-23-2009, 7:44 PM
Echo what David said. ALWAYS do a mock-up when working with new hardware.

John Orr
09-23-2009, 7:50 PM
Thank you for the reply guys, I will go to the blum website and have a look. the mock up idea is really great.
So Howard if you go 1" for 1/2 overlay would it be true to say add 1 1/4" for full overlay that would give 1/8" all around............John

Howard Miller
09-23-2009, 9:56 PM
John,
If you add 1 1/4" (to the door opening size), that would give you 5/8" overlay.

John Orr
09-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks howard, would you also have to take 1/16" off each door to give the clearance in the center, or does your 1" allow for that..........John