PDA

View Full Version : Coarse grain?

Dan Forman
09-23-2009, 3:32 AM
I've got some very nice Chinese Elm, which has a rather open grain similar to oak. I'm wondering if there is a different finishing strategy for such bowls? Does anyone sand the finish in to make a slurry to fill the pores like we do with pens sometimes? Would tiny bits of food get in the pores and create problems? Thanks.

Dan

Nathan Hawkes
09-23-2009, 7:13 AM
Dan, I haven't turned any elm, chinese or otherwise, but with red oak, I do just what you're suggesting. It has somewhat limited results--its still incredibly porous wood, but with repeated coats--5-6 min. with minwax AO with scotchbrite buffing in between coats, the finished bowls were quite nice, and much more solid than before. I doubt that they would hold water, but mine were meant as large salad bowls anyway.

Bruce McElhaney
09-23-2009, 9:41 AM
I've turned quite a few Chinese Elm bowls and never had a problem with the open grain. In fact, I like the look of it, especially with wide rings. Sanding sealer helps fill the pores. My finish of choice is several coats of Waterlox, buffed out.

Prashun Patel
09-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I've got some very nice Chinese Elm, which has a rather open grain similar to oak. I'm wondering if there is a different finishing strategy for such bowls? Does anyone sand the finish in to make a slurry to fill the pores like we do with pens sometimes? Would tiny bits of food get in the pores and create problems? Thanks.

Dan

I haven't turned before, but I have used the wetsand technique to fill grain. I imagine it'd work VERY well when turning.

Bob Tate
09-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I do that quite often. I use the MinWax #209, that is the stain without the color in it. A couple of coats of that. When dry, wet sand with Mineral Spirits. Realls fills grain and makes a nice smooth surface.
Bob

Leo Van Der Loo
09-23-2009, 4:01 PM
I somehow doubt you got Chinese Elm there Dan,Chinese Elm has very demanding growing conditions, it is very probably Siberian Elm, which is a tough tree and grows all over N America, I'll add some pictures of both trees bark, just in case I'm wrong.
For the Siberian Elm I have never had any problems using the Polymerized Tung oil as a finish, and it does bring out the color and grain very well

Leo Van Der Loo
09-23-2009, 4:15 PM
Here's a picture with a better close-up look of the grain, the Siberian Elm is sitting atop a White Ash bowl, the Ash has a coarser and more open grain than the Elm, HTH

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2009, 11:21 PM
I turn quite a bit of Elm since it is plentiful here. I use either antique oil, waterlox or walnut oil. Haven't had a problem yet.

Dan Forman
09-23-2009, 11:35 PM
I guess it is Siberian Elm, looks just like Leo's pics. The tree service guy called it Chinese, but I've heard that the names are often mixed up. Glad to have that cleared up. Decided to go with a sanded in finish, applied the first coat today. It's very pretty wood, and I have a nice big pile of it.

Dan