PDA

View Full Version : dumb compressor question

Tom Hassad
09-23-2009, 1:42 AM
I am looking at nail guns and compressors - seems that a combo saves money. But I am also wondering whether these compressors can serve double duty as a car tire inflator.

The compressors look too small but the advertised pressure readings seem to indicate they could handle such a task.

I know little about compressors so hope this is not too dumb.

Harlan Coverdale
09-23-2009, 2:55 AM
Yep, they'll work fine. I've yet to see a small compressor that's capable of running a pneumatic gun that couldn't fill a car tire. With a small tank, in some cases the compressor pump may end up running while you fill the tire, but that's not a problem. It's still pushing air into the tire.

Rick Fisher
09-23-2009, 3:36 AM
I have a really tiny Senco.. Weighs about 6 lbs..

It will fill up a truck tire if your patient..

I would recommend the Makita line of compressors.. Very quiet and seem very well built..

David Freed
09-23-2009, 5:12 AM
I have a really tiny Senco.. Weighs about 6 lbs..

It will fill up a truck tire if your patient..

Patience is the key. I have a tiny 12v compressor that weighs less than 2 lbs I keep in the car for emergencies. It put 60 lbs of pressure in my pickup tire one time from almost flat in about 8 - 10 minutes. That was its limit though. It got pretty hot by the time it was done.

Scott T Smith
09-23-2009, 7:32 AM
As other stated, the small compressors will handle the task just fine. If you want to increase the functionality of a small compressor, simply plumb in an additional air tank for more storage capacity.

I've used the inexpensive 30 dollar portable 5 gallon air tanks from Northern to increase capacity on a pancake compressor mounted on a mobile workshop trailer on my farm. They work best when you plumb them on the tank (high pressure) side of the regulator, and they help significantly with the volume needed for airing up tires or running multiple nail guns simultaneously.

All things being equal, if you compare compressors with similar tank sizes the one with the highest tank pressure will fill the tire more quickly. The pressures offered by the manufacturers vary between 120psi to 135 psi.

Rich Engelhardt
09-23-2009, 7:40 AM
Hello,
+1 to adding an aux tank or two or three or however many.

Just be aware that your pump is going to cycle more which will eventually cause it to die faster.

Also, make sure the tanks you get are rated for the same pressure the compressor is.
Porter Cable pancakes put out 150psi.
Some models of Emglo (DeWalt) put out a whopping 200psi.

Some of the cheap aux tanks are only rated for 125psi. - like the one I got from WalMart.

Greg Cuetara
09-23-2009, 10:22 PM
IMHO do not waste your money on anything smaller than a few gallons of size. Also if you want something to last be careful about the oil-less compressors. I HAD a 1 gallon pancake compressor and yes it did fill up a car tire but it took over an hour. I was able to run a brad nailer / stapler ok. I had it a few years and in the middle of a big project it up and died on me. I had a friend who had the 6 gallon bostitch pancake style compressor and it threw the piston after a few years so it can happen to even the good one's.

As a stealth gloat I picked up a 10 gallon briggs and stratton compressor from the borg for like $70. 125psi max. I was running the brad nailer and there was a huge difference in the pressure it put out compared to the 1 gallon pancake I used to have. The bigger you can get the better off you will be.

Also a 3 pack of nailers can be a good deal but are you going to use them all? typically you don't get a framing nailer so If that is something you want you would have to buy it extra anyways. Also I have another friend with the bostich and he says that it will not really run a framing nailer with decent capacity.

JMHO.
Greg

David Freed
09-24-2009, 4:30 AM
Hello,
+1 to adding an aux tank or two or three or however many.

Just be aware that your pump is going to cycle more which will eventually cause it to die faster.

Adding auxilliary tanks causes the compressor to cycle less, but run longer per cycle. I do agree with the second part of your statement that excessive cycling is harder on compressors. With that in mind, your compressor should last longer if you add extra tanks. On the other hand though, if your compressor is not rated for continuous duty, adding a large aux tank could fry your compressor rather quickly because it won't be able to take the heat.

Chris Kennedy
09-24-2009, 5:30 AM
I have a PC pancake and use it to fill a tire all the time (I have a slow leak in one of my tires). It does just fine.

Someone advised me when I bought my compressor, immediately buy a tire inflator and a blow gun. It was perfect advice.

Cheers,

Chris

Rich Engelhardt
09-24-2009, 6:42 AM
Hello,

Adding auxilliary tanks causes the compressor to cycle less, but run longer per cycle.
Correct.
My bad. The compresssor will run longer, but less often.

Kent A Bathurst
09-24-2009, 10:00 AM
I have a PC pancake and use it to fill a tire all the time (I have a slow leak in one of my tires). It does just fine.

Someone advised me when I bought my compressor, immediately buy a tire inflator and a blow gun. It was perfect advice.

Cheers,

Chris

Ditto. PC pancake works fine. Also - I have coiled hose w/ tire inflator hanging by door to the driveway, plus pressure gauge hanging right there - just run the main air hose to the coiled hose, out the door to the vehicle. That was the easy part - hard part was explaining to DW how to use them on HER tires on HER vehicle - not going all that well.

Dave Wagner
09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
I have a small 8 gallon (Semi portable) Husky that came with all the accessories from the BORG store ($129 on sale!).

I also have a separate 5 gallon air tank I keep filled up, and take into the house for using the smaller nail guns for moldings, and small projects, tire filling, etc... easier than lugging the compressor around.