PDA

View Full Version : Any of this worth a look?

Bob Haskett
09-23-2009, 12:17 AM
I am new to woodworking as I have mentioned in a few of my other posts. I have no tools yet. Does any of this warrant a look? If so what seems like an attractive deal?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/1387349781.html

Darius Ferlas
09-23-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm not a fan of RAS so no comment there.

The jointer is kinda smallish, but whether you'll be happy with it or not depends on what you need it for. Rule of thumb is that max board length can be 1.5 to 2 times the length of the jointer's bed, but I can;t imagine jointing 72 inch board on this one. When I was researching jointers before I got mine, I came across numerous complaints about the reliability of this jointer, especially the aluminum fence.

Freud biscuit jointer a touch too pricey for what it offers. It can be had brand new for slightly over $100. I see used ones advertised for $50.

I dunno the router table model but in general I wouldn't say the deal is awesome. Not necessarily pricey but, considering other options that pop up once in a while, imo rather unremarkable.

Brian Kent
09-23-2009, 1:34 AM
Bob, I bet you can do better than these for the price.

Myk Rian
09-23-2009, 6:27 AM
The wood has a good price.

The jointer may be an alright deal. If the wood is rough sawn, you'll need it. Keep looking though. You may find a better one at the same price.

Like Darius, I'm not big on RASs.

You can build a router table with a PC 890 router in it for far less than $350.

John McClanahan
09-23-2009, 8:28 AM
I'm only a novice, but I watch craigslist daily. I would agree with what others have said. Now you have a price base to compare further shopping to.

I have owned a radial arm saw for nearly 30 years. I would say to put it near the bottom of the list of needed tools.

John

Dan Gill
09-23-2009, 8:49 AM
I'd buy the cherry and the walnut for that price unless it was absolute junk.

Kent A Bathurst
09-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Not a fan of RAS either, but just personal pref. My first jointer was 6". (Delta, as it happens). Quickly realized that meant I would have to rip rought stock to fit on jointer. Got an 8". Much happier. Am sure 10" - 12" would be even better, but this fit the shop, and didn't need a jobber to set in place :).

EDIT:
Might look at this site - I've seen stuff I was interested in, but wrong location. Woodworking shops are going out of business everywhere, it seems (sigh). Bet there will be items in your driving area
http://www.irsauctions.com/index.asp?today=true

Dave Cav
09-23-2009, 4:30 PM
Well, I am a fan of radial arm saws....but not generally Sears. If it was an older DeWalt or Delta for $125 it would be a good deal, but Sears RAS are a dime a dozen and worth even less. Keep looking; if you can find an older DeWalt MBC, MBF or 925 for the same or less money, you'll have a great saw you can leave to your grandkids.

Matt Meiser
09-23-2009, 4:34 PM
I say no. Another non-RAS user here. And the jointer as others said is small. More traditional design 6" jointers are plentiful. The router table might be nice, but for your small shop, I'd look at integrating it into your table saw's side table to save space. I did that and I have a lot bigger shop.

glenn bradley
09-23-2009, 5:48 PM
I also say no to the tools but yes to the wood if it has been stored properly. JMHO.