PDA

View Full Version : In theory, what would you do...

Dan Mages
09-17-2004, 8:22 PM
Hypothetically speaking, what would you do in this situation. You go to a lumber yard and place a large order for lumber. You take 75 studs and a few other items from the order to get things started and have the rest delivered. When the delivery arrives, They deliver the75 studs that you already have. Its around $200 in unpaid merchandise. This lumber shop has caused you a lot of problems in the past. Would you keep the studs, or would you have them pick them up?

Dan

Wes Bischel
09-17-2004, 8:40 PM
I'd call and tell them they made a mistake - many times they will just let it slide and tell you to keep them.
If they have been a pain in the past, do you have an alternative supplier to use?

Just my view. Wes

peter kolb
I am very much a black and white type of guy. If you did not pay for them;
either pay for the additional studs or return them. This is the right thing to do
I do not understand why you would want to keep the studs if you did not pay for them.

peter kolb
either pay for the additional studs or return them. This is the right thing to do
I do not understand why you would want to keep the studs if you did not pay for them.

peter kolb

peter kolb

peter kolb

peter kolb

peter kolb

peter kolb

Wes Bischel
09-17-2004, 8:43 PM
Peter - feel strongly about that??!! :D :D :D

Wes

Bart Leetch
09-17-2004, 9:25 PM
Stealing is still stealing even if someone else delivers it for you. :( :eek:

Tony Falotico
09-17-2004, 9:38 PM
Call them and tell them to come get 'em, That's the right thing to do IMHO. I don't want what's not rightfully mine.

The fact they have been difficult in the past is irrelevant. Maintain your standards, don't lower yourself to the gutter to fight a gutter rat.

Michael Cody
09-17-2004, 10:51 PM
I always wonder why people post questions like this. (Bet I am not the only one here that thinks that way). These only start holier-than-thou type discussions.. The right answer is what you feel like you should do. You already know what you feel you should do, you knew 2 seconds after you discovered their mistake. Then you should just do that and don't think about it... it's not my or anyone else's place to judge whats right for you. This not a personal attack -- basically I understand your question, but you are not the last I am sure in a long line of people who post these kind of things. You are just the one I happened to answer when I decided I ought to put in my 0.02$ worth.

That said, like anyone else I have an opinion. Just like rectal openings, we most all have or have had one.

I am pretty sure legally they are yours, they were delivered to you, you didn't order them, it's yours to keep I suspect. If you are uncomfortable with that then call them up. That is what I would do. Most likely they will tell you to keep them or they will come pick them up if they want them back. No reason you should have to deliver them back to them. Either way your conscience will be absolved.

Do whatever feels right to you and be satisfied since the only person in the world you can't lie too looks you in face every morning in the mirror and what the rest of us think is basically hot air that rises and worth what you paid to get those pontifications .. including the one I just made!

Tyler Howell
09-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Don't hold back Pete! Tell us how you really feel!:p

Tell them they screwed up and to fix it. :mad: It will cost all most as much in man and machine an they will tell you to keep them.;)

Jerry Olexa
09-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Peter would you be a little more specific as to how you really feel about this?Seriously, you are taking the "high road" and its the right one in my opinion! For added emphasis, you could repeat your message a few times. Forgive my weak humor! Jerry:)

Dan Mages
09-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Okay. Now that we all agree that theft = bad, let me throw in a curveball. I call the lumberyard and explain the situation. The person in charge of the building materials at that moment has the intelligence of a box of 16d nails. He cant understand my problem or know what to do about this. I try a second time on a second date. still no luck... what to do now.

Rob Littleton
09-18-2004, 12:01 AM
As most have said, call them and tell them their mistake.

They will more than likely admire you and remeber your name for future purchases. They will also, more than likely, tell you to keep them. If they do, you win. If they dont, ho hum, you sleep tight and can use that supplier in a heart beat without conviction.

My 2 cents.

Sparky Paessler
09-18-2004, 12:53 AM
I went to a small lumber yard that I use to use and paided for 5 sheets of AB 3/4" plywood to make some shelves out of. Went down to the yard where there was only one helper and he said that the AB ply was at the bottom of a large stack of plywood. I help him move the stack one at a time (about 50 sheets) when we got down to the AB it was more like CD plywood.I told him thats not AB. AB should be clear on one side. So we hunted around some more and moved some more stacks still no AB. Finally he went to a stack and said This I know is AB plywood (It was oak ply clear on both sides). By this time I was getting frustrated and ready to go so after looking at it I said are you SURE this is the plywood I paided for. He said YES and we loaded it up and I took it home. It looked much better that what I had planed. Was I wrong?

Michael Stafford
09-18-2004, 9:06 AM
Really only one answer- Honesty is the best policy. Let them know and make the decision. They delivered the overage, if they want it back they'll come pick it up.

Tyler Howell
09-18-2004, 9:18 AM
Okay. Now that we all agree that theft = bad, let me throw in a curveball. I call the lumberyard and explain the situation. The person in charge of the building materials at that moment has the intelligence of a box of 16d nails. He cant understand my problem or know what to do about this. I try a second time on a second date. still no luck... what to do now.Dan, You've done your good deed. ;) You alerted them to there mistake. Now charge them for storage.
There are whole departments for OS&D. The mistakes like this are made every day and the price is built into the cost of the item. Some one will pay for that mistake, be it customer, stock holder or shop keeper. The poor business man will stumble or go under. :o
I had a shop keeper get huffy with me when she under charged me for printing services. When I said "that's not right" she insisted that was a fare price. Not till I pulled out the pencil and did a little Bill Grumbine. lesson on math, did she see the error of her ways. Unfortunately she was part owner. That print shop didn't last long. There is just so much we can do to correct others mistakes.
However there is the S&D part of OS&D for SHORT and DAMAGED.
Do a thorouh inventory of purchased goods and demand satisfaction if it isn't right. CYA.;)
If we all worked toward excellence and customer satisfaction, maybe it will rub off on the 16d nails out there.:cool:

Bill Grumbine
09-18-2004, 9:31 AM
I don't know how it is holier than thou to say do the right thing, and then go on to say what the right thing is, since that is obviously why you have posed the question in the first place. You received something for which you did not pay. I disagree (respectfully) with Michael's interpretation. You did order the studs, and it was on the bill of sale. The fact that someone made a mistake in paperwork and shipped them twice is neither here nor there. Consider how you would expect to be treated in such a situation if you were out that amount.

What do you do about it? This one does get a little grey because the extra material was delivered. Here is what I would do, and I would do it in light of the info you have updated this thread.

Call and explain the mistake. I know you have had trouble with them on two calls already, but go up the ladder. Be firm about it if you have to. A propane company once tried to charge me twice for propane in tanks they owned and were picking up. It took me several calls to get through to them too. I told them they were welcome to come and get their tanks, and I was not paying for propane I had already paid for. If they didn't want their tanks I would happily roll them down the hill and use them for target practice. They came and got them that day. It doesn't matter that the guy on the phone has the IQ of a box of rocks. He is not the owner or the buyer - at least I hope not. Get hold of a supervisor and tell that person what happened. Tell them that you are holding the extra lumber and that they can come out and get it any time, but that you are not going to go to the time and trouble to load it up and return it. Give them a deadline. They made a mistake. It may have been an honest one, and you are certainly giving them opportunity to rectify it. It may be that it is not worth it for them to come and get the lumber, and then you can keep it in good conscience.

In the end, you can just keep it, and maybe no one else will know, but you are the one who has to look at yourself in the mirror every day. How they have treated you in the past has no bearing on the issue either. How they behave is not a reflection on your character, it is how you behave which is a reflection on your character. If you have had this much trouble with this place, perhaps you might look for a different one with which to do business.

Bill

Dave Hammelef
09-18-2004, 9:52 AM
Okay. Now that we all agree that theft = bad, let me throw in a curveball. I call the lumberyard and explain the situation. The person in charge of the building materials at that moment has the intelligence of a box of 16d nails. He cant understand my problem or know what to do about this. I try a second time on a second date. still no luck... what to do now.

Well, Peter its not stealing if they gave them to him, Which it appears they did. Of course that would open up a new way to throw someone in jail deliver something to their house then have them thrown in jail for stealing.

Now If you feel they have made a mistake and did not mean these to be a gift or OS&D, or you not sure Call them. If the person In charge of the yard is as dumb as college girls at a lumber yard, ask for the store manager, if they cant resolve the issue I think I would call it a day. But really you need to believe you put in a good honest effort to resolve the issue.

My guess is the cost of picking them up probably aint worth it, but maybe they are in you area. I agree with Bill, if you do find someone who thinks they will pick them up get a date to pick them up by so you dont have them sitting for 2 yrs waiting for pickup.

Mark Singer
09-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Always do the right thing and it will come back to you. Mistakes can and should be corrected in an honest way. I have had many business opportunities come my way because people trust me and I always try to work foor others in an honest way. The answer is obvious!

Jim Becker
09-18-2004, 10:38 AM
I would make it the decision of the supplier so that there is no misunderstanding on either side...but if they want them back, they pick them up at their own cost.

Dan Mages
09-18-2004, 12:18 PM
I went over there this morning and spoke to the manager on duty and he said he would look into it. He was equally confused and will call me on monday.

Dan

Ian Barley
09-18-2004, 12:44 PM
In the UK we have a piece of law called the Unsolicited Goods Act. Basically it says that if somebody delivers something that you didn't order then it is their responsibility to collect. But - it is your responsibility to notify them properly. If you cannot get the message through to them, write a short note outilining the situation and deliver it to them. Keep a copy. In the note tell them that they have nn days (make it a reasonable time period) to collect the goods. If they don't them you should dispose of the goods as you see fit.

If this supplier is relevant to you in the future it is in your interests that they operate properly and profitably. If they cannot deal with this situation given reasonable information they are unlikely to be a reliable source for your future needs.

peter kolb
09-19-2004, 10:48 AM
I apologize for the multi posts. It shows my lack of skills.

Wes Bischel
09-19-2004, 2:49 PM
Peter,
None necessary - it was kinda funny and we were just busting on you. :D

Wes

Dan Mages
09-21-2004, 9:08 AM
I spoke to them again today. They still don't know what is going on or where the extra lumber came from. I told the manager that they have two weeks to get back to me on this or I will keep the lumber. This will be the last time I will give these bozos business.

Dan

peter kolb
09-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Dan You made an attempt to correct the situation. IMHO, once was enough.
Use the lumber as you see fit.If you felt offended of intimadated by my post
I apologize.

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 1:19 PM
Dan,

Does this problem have anything to do with where you live? A hobbit hole? I bet this is at least half the problem.... :D

Michael Stafford
09-21-2004, 2:36 PM
Dan, can you believe some guy with a rubber pig snout on his face has the nerve to criticize your Hobbit hole? Hobbits maintain very clean and well organized holes as I recall. Very funny Chris!

Rich Konopka
09-21-2004, 5:55 PM
I apologize for the multi posts. It shows my lack of skills.
Peter :

I thought you had a posting impediment :D

Dan:

Stick to your morales. Your a better person for being honest. If you have kids, it sends the right message.

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 6:11 PM
Peter,

You can edit every single one of those extra posts. Simply click the "Edit" button and then you will be able to delete them as if they had never existed.

Dan Mages
09-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Right now my opinion is scew'em. I dont have time to deal with their incompitency. If they want the studs, they have my number.

Dan

nic obie
09-22-2004, 2:09 PM
I like Ian's reply best.

Dan you did your best, heck with them and start looking for another yard. As Ian mentioned, I wouldn't plan on them staying in business long.

Dan Mages
09-22-2004, 6:04 PM
Nic, I think they will. Its a big box retailer and this is probably a small screw up for them. I did some quick numbers. I have just about enough lumber to frame up my basement. It looks like I have a project for 1H05.

Dan