PDA

View Full Version : Impressed with G3 network

Mitchell Andrus
09-22-2009, 7:07 PM
I was in NC last week getting the house and shop ready to move into (mostly the shop). Of course the phone hasn't been turned on yet, there's no cable in the area and no dish yet... so, I was cut off for a few days. What do do? I'll be spending a total of 4 more weeks there before January.

I went to the Verizon store and asked about the G3 network and the little USB thingy they show on TV. WOW, was I impressed. I've got Fiber Optic at my NJ home and I was floored with how fast it was.

If curious, take your laptop in to a Verizon (AT&T, T Mobile, etc.) store and try it. For hooking up away from a line or at a job-site, etc., it will get your there, as long as there is decent cell service.

Jim Mattheiss
09-22-2009, 7:34 PM
Mitchell:

Is the the My-Fi device? That's an interesting idea.

So when do you officially change you SMC Location from Stirling NJ to Wherever NC?

Cheers

Jim

Matt Meiser
09-22-2009, 8:13 PM
Just beware that the limit is 5GB per month with some massive overage charges. For casual home use without streaming video, iTunes downloads, etc, that's probably fine. I work from home and we were averaging 15GB per month when we had Sprint.

Mitchell Andrus
09-23-2009, 7:55 PM
Yea, I know. I'll have a hook-up in the house for most usage. The G3 thing is just for the weeks I'm in NC working on the studio and later for use in the studio office. It's 240 feet from the house.... too far for a Wi-Fi and I don't feel like trenching a wire that far.

Mitchell Andrus
09-23-2009, 8:07 PM
Mitchell:

Is the the My-Fi device? That's an interesting idea.

So when do you officially change you SMC Location from Stirling NJ to Wherever NC?

Cheers

Jim

I think the My-Fi is like a glorified portable router/splitter.

It'll be months before the shop is all set up. I'm only planning 4 more trips down before the holidays and each trip will focus on a different aspect. Electric/insulation/ceiling/walls, paint/workbenches, DC system, Odds and ends and work on the house.

Perhaps by Feb I'll be able to un-do the shop, move and install everything. That move alone will take two weeks.

I closed last Tuesday, had a bed and used mower delivered the first day. It NEVER stopped RAINING for a WEEK!!!

Pics from last week, read the captions:

http://picasaweb.google.com/missionfurnishings/FirstWorkTripToNC#

Dennis McGarry
09-23-2009, 8:20 PM
Yea, I know. I'll have a hook-up in the house for most usage. The G3 thing is just for the weeks I'm in NC working on the studio and later for use in the studio office. It's 240 feet from the house.... too far for a Wi-Fi and I don't feel like trenching a wire that far.

If you have line of sight from house to studio, look into a cantenna for the home wi-fi. Shoot the signal to the studio. 240 feet would not be a problem for a decent cantenna....

Matt Meiser
09-23-2009, 9:16 PM
I go a little over 100' with 2 Linksys WRT54G's running DD-WRT firmware and upgraded indoor antennas (9dbi omnis in the house and a 6dbi directional in the shop) and get about 50% signal which is good for 54Mbps. I expect if I were to upgrade the shop to a $50 outside antenna I'd get an very impressive signal. Two outdoor directionals aimed straight at each other would certainly work for 240' unless its full of low trees.

Mitchell Andrus
09-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Wow. Ya learn somthin new every day.Thanks.

http://www.cantenna.com/